Ozark Trail Tradedy

Gary M

Ozark Trail Tragedy

This may not be an appropriate subject, but while doing some research this evening I was

saddened to learn of the deaths of 3 hikers on the Ozark Trail this month. Please feel free

to delete this entry if if this crosses some "internet line."

Anyone wanting details may search:

stltoday.com/news/local/illinois/anniversary-gift-turns-into-fatal-hike-for-father-two-sons

I have seen forum members discussing safety and possible rescue issues, but you just don't

think this would happen in the relatively safe Ozarks. I mean we are not talking about

some snow topped mountain, just the Ozark Trail. It was very sad, a father and his two

young sons.

Gary M

Edited by Gary M
Sorry, my spelling is terrible "Tragedy"

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I think they may have changed the link, I was able to find the article on that site Here.

Very sad and unfortunate story. I guess it serves as a stark reminder that we all need to be prepared even when embarking on what may seem at the time like a very simple day hike. My own personal goal when heading out just for the day is to always take at least enough gear to make it through the night in a worst case scenario...Not necessarily in a comfortable manner but to at least make it. But admittedly I haven't always done so, and obviously it's difficult to talk about what could have been done differently when I've made my fair share of mistakes. From what I've read they planned on an 16 mile roundtrip hike, which does seem pretty intense for kids that age combined with shorter winter daylight hours. Turned down a ride and then missed their turn, just a sad and terrible chain of events.

Yes, several mistakes in this case were made which led to loss of three people. And I've certainly made mistakes myself.

It should remind us how a small creek can quickly turn dangerous, and hikers may not safely ford. The creeks in this area just can't hold much rain water, even in on-going drought conditions here in the Midwest. Everyone please hike and backpack safely.

Gary M

I read this on another hiking forum and my comment then was after reading that they had hunkered down before in similar bad weather situations was why did they not learn a lesson to always be prepared!!

That's why my day pack is 15 pounds! I have extra food, waterproof layer, fire starter, space blanket and big trash bag, extra gloves, beanie....etc etc because YOU NEVER KNOW when it all goes to pot on you.

Just today, we were snowshoeing out at Red Lake high on the Carson Pass and when we came out, there were a half dozen search and rescue-emergency vehicles assisting a woman in a large group of overnight snow campers who became incapacitated and could not hike out..and she was only 3 miles in!

Edited by TollerMom

TollerMom......Excellent responce. I really like how you are willing to hike with a few extra pounds as a trade off for being extra prepared on the trail. We can all learn from this incident, it will be far from the last.

I've hiked close to the trail where this occured, and it would be my guess that the father was lured into a false sense of security as this area is not intimidaing like some places further west or perhaps along the east coast. Safety first please......

Gary M

• 4 weeks later...
OrionTheHunter

Sad story. I too agree about being prepared for the worst and taking a few extra pounds of gear even for day hikes.A tarp with rope, fire source, extra pullover, and some water and grub are a must for every hike no matter how short.