Seeking input on a dependable bear canister

jay

Planning a trip into bear country and would like some input on a dependable bear canister.  I have done some on line research but wanted to get input from anyone that might be familiar with and have used a bear canister,  Am planning to be out for about a week or so; size and brand recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by jay

We have two Bearvaults, one the smaller 450, and the other the 500.  For a full week, I think you might prefer the 500, but you should probably put all your food together and see what fits. 

They work.  If it rains, make sure that you leave them on a slight angle, because they can suck water up through the threads if they are dead level.  But they work. 

I like the see-through element, which makes finding your food a lot easier.  They open without a tool, and I like that, too.  And they are big enough around that we've been known to use one for a chair...

But I think the Garcia works well, too.  And the Bearricade, where it is legal.  The latter is more expensive, lighter for the same volume, and not approved in all areas.

Edited by balzaccom

redhtbassplyr

I just bought the Garcia backpacker cache canister. I haven't used it in the field yet, but like what I've received. The runner up choice for me was the Bearvault 500 . The reason I went with this is from people that had the bearvault it seems opening it with cold hands alone or after some condensation/dew has frozen onto the seal is pretty hard and frustrating. I have trigger finger in my dominant hand thumb and figured this might be even harder for me. Second reason was black bears have gotten into the bearvaults on more than one occasion. I am going to the Tetons to grizzly country, which is why I bought this, but live in Georgia and will replace my bear bag with this now when I feel the need. The Garcia cache is sturdy as a rock though, although heavier as well, but the added weight gives me peace of mind my 9 day trip wont be ruined because all my food gets eaten. The lock is easy and I can open it with my knife. One side is looser than the other, but has not gotten any looser since I've been accessing it. It does not try to advertise and is not smell proof. It comes with a glorified plastic bag to line the canister with, but even that I highly doubt would make it smell proof to the point I may leave it at home, still debating. I can fit 5 days/4 nights worth of dried meals/snacks along with a couple things like tooth paste and chapstick. I'd say 6 days 5 nights would be max capacity for me

Thanks, I have been looking at both of them even before I posted here.  My main question is: how easy are they to carry?  I'm planning on using a 65L backpack on this trip, should I plan on attaching this outside the pack or do you think it will fit inside easily enough?

redhtbassplyr

Haha, not easy. I'm keeping mine placed vertical in the middle of my 65Lliter kelty coyote pack. Thought about lashing it and they even sell some covers that have straps, but it's so heavy packed, that I don't want it lashed to the outside of my pack swinging or really pulling me backwards. It needs to be kind of center of gravity to feel more comfortable. I'm not sure how people deal with these with smaller packs but 65 L you'll be good. Depends on how much clothing you're bringing I guess.

Thanks, that was exactly the information I was looking for.  I have learned through bitter experience the misery of carrying an unbalanced pack.   I'm planning to spend about a week in the backcountry so I'm not packing more than a couple sets of clothes and plenty of socks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine delivered yesterday.  I went with the Backpacker's Cache model.  It does fit in my 65L pack fine with room to spare.  I am honestly hoping it does NOT get stress tested! :D

redhtbassplyr

I put some highlighter green wallpaper tape around mine in a couple areas to give it some highlights to stick out. I was trying to find my colored electrical tape but couldn't and that would have been probably better. This seems adequate though, may be able to find easier if it gets hit around