Critique my medkit please. Anything missing?

redhtbassplyr

redhtbassplyr

Let me first give you the context of how, where and when this medkit will and hopefully will not be used. I modify any medkit I bring ever, based on the trip to be as efficient, but safe as possible. Tetons Back country wilderness long mileage with longest isolated stretch being 6 days. Temps 25-75F without factoring in elevation/windchill. 6,000-12,000ft elevation range. Rocky terrain to meadows to galciers. No cell service. Usually populated at the time I'm going, but varies depending on section. Myself and one other experienced hiker would share these supplies or hopefully not have to.

This all fits in a small cpr facemask(removed) bag I have that has a strap and clip on it and packed is the size of a slightly larger pregnant 12oz can. Not sure the weight yet, but under a full 12oz can by far. Maybe around the weight of my cell phone.

So let me break it down with some of this being emergency items and some being more treatment for hygiene/common ailments:

1x sterile gauze(4x4)

15g Celox hemostatic granules for large bleeding

1x Epipen 

3x Calmoseptine single use packets(can fold up and prob get 6 uses) for chafing/sunburns/mild closed forming blisters 

2x neosporin single use packets

Chapstick

2x eyelid scrub wipes for cleaning( have a tendency myself to get styes with the sweating/ dirt of backpacking) 

Mini roll of duct tape

Mini roll leukotape

Mini Bic Lighter

Lightweight multitool (Leatherman style cs) includes nice scissors, file, phillps and flat head screwdriver, knife, tweezers, carabiner clip

1x pair nitrile medical gloves in small plastic bag

4x Katadyn micropur water purification tabs ( for 2L of water and is only backup to my sawyer filter)

4x small alcohol pads

4x regular size bandaids

3x tiny butterfly style bandaids

30-50ft est fishing line

3x aluminum tabs off of soda can(can make makeshift lightweight clips, hooks, fishing hooks) weights/bobbers out of duct tape and stick/rock combos

1x 1/2 length firework starter stick( made of paper or wood mix maybe, holds a flame and burns slow like a mini 30 min torch)

1x small square aluminum foil( various uses)

6x various sizes of Glacier Gel blister pads

2x Questran packs( rx only diarrhea med that I seldom use at home anymore because my condition improved, but take with on hikes)

10x Diamox ( rx only my Doc wrote for me for this trip for altitude sickness/ prevention of HACE/HAPE)

1-4 tabs of Zofran( rx only nausea med, leftover from past illness)

Then have some OTC meds to top it all off. Aspirin( prevention of Mountain/ altitude sickness mainly, tx of heart attack/stroke), benadryl tabs(bites/stings, itching, sleep, allergic reactions) a couple of each ibuprofen/naproxen/tylenol( headache and pain), Imodium( diarrhea), Unisom (doxylamine succinate better sleep aid for me, benadryl is for others more or other uses), Dramamine ( motion sickness/ nausea related to. I do kayak camping and depending on number of days can feel land sick after on occasion)

Other relevant Items like my Trekking poles(makeshift splints), satellite communicator and other camping gear may not be included, but within my other backpacking supplies.

Tips on substitute ingredients or constructive criticism is welcome. What works for you and did I miss anything that is obvious? 

Edited by redhtbassplyr
forgot 1 item

Lunar_Herbalist

My med kit is much, much smaller (and arguably much more reckless).  To date I've not had any serious injury on the trail, and since no one I go with has any medical training I've skipped out on some of the stuff that is frequently packed. If you don't know how to treat a severe wound, I wouldn't normally try to.  I don't have a sewing kit, my plan in event of large laceration is to use medical tape and basically hold the wound closed with that preventing pressure on the wound and moving quickly to the exit or getting a ranger to assist.

• triple antibiotic ointment tube as a way to prevent infection and acts as my neosporin substitute.
  • Topical Salve that i made.  It's anti-everything basically, anti-inflammatory and it promotes healing.  It costs a lot of weight since its in a glass jar though.
  • 2x2 gauze pads x6 for wounds or blisters.
  • 20 flex bandaids
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Medical cloth tape
  • IcyHot cream for any cramps, sprains, etc.
  • Benedryl
  • Aspirin (non bleeding wounds)
  • Tylenol (bleeding wounds and because of allergy)

Some of your stuff listed i wouldn't consider a med kit.

• 30-50ft est fishing line
  • 3x aluminum tabs off of soda can(can make makeshift lightweight clips, hooks, fishing hooks) weights/bobbers out of duct tape and stick/rock combos
  • 1x 1/2 length firework starter stick( made of paper or wood mix maybe, holds a flame and burns slow like a mini 30 min torch)
  • 1x small square aluminum foil( various uses)
  • Mini roll of duct tape
  • Mini Bic Lighter
  • Lightweight multitool (Leatherman style cs) includes nice scissors, file, phillps and flat head screwdriver, knife, tweezers, carabiner clip

I would put these items in another pouch or container if it must go in the same pouch as your med kit.  I personally think a med kit should be free of clutter so when you need something from it you can find it quickly and deal with whatever problem you are trying to remedy.  Especially with items like an epipen.  If that is what you are looking for you don't want to find a fire stick or a lighter or the leatherman.

red, I’d suggest a triangular bandage, a disposable CPR mask and a First Aid app or book. Otherwise, your list of supplies looks good.

redhtbassplyr
On 8/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, Lunar_Herbalist said:

My med kit is much, much smaller (and arguably much more reckless).  To date I've not had any serious injury on the trail, and since no one I go with has any medical training I've skipped out on some of the stuff that is frequently packed. If you don't know how to treat a severe wound, I wouldn't normally try to.  I don't have a sewing kit, my plan in event of large laceration is to use medical tape and basically hold the wound closed with that preventing pressure on the wound and moving quickly to the exit or getting a ranger to assist.

• triple antibiotic ointment tube as a way to prevent infection and acts as my neosporin substitute.
  • Topical Salve that i made.  It's anti-everything basically, anti-inflammatory and it promotes healing.  It costs a lot of weight since its in a glass jar though.
  • 2x2 gauze pads x6 for wounds or blisters.
  • 20 flex bandaids
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Medical cloth tape
  • IcyHot cream for any cramps, sprains, etc.
  • Benedryl
  • Aspirin (non bleeding wounds)
  • Tylenol (bleeding wounds and because of allergy)

Some of your stuff listed i wouldn't consider a med kit.

• 30-50ft est fishing line
  • 3x aluminum tabs off of soda can(can make makeshift lightweight clips, hooks, fishing hooks) weights/bobbers out of duct tape and stick/rock combos
  • 1x 1/2 length firework starter stick( made of paper or wood mix maybe, holds a flame and burns slow like a mini 30 min torch)
  • 1x small square aluminum foil( various uses)
  • Mini roll of duct tape
  • Mini Bic Lighter
  • Lightweight multitool (Leatherman style cs) includes nice scissors, file, phillps and flat head screwdriver, knife, tweezers, carabiner clip

I would put these items in another pouch or container if it must go in the same pouch as your med kit.  I personally think a med kit should be free of clutter so when you need something from it you can find it quickly and deal with whatever problem you are trying to remedy.  Especially with items like an epipen.  If that is what you are looking for you don't want to find a fire stick or a lighter or the leatherman.

Okay yea some after some condensing I'm dropping all the non-med kit items mentioned except the duct tap and multitool, because scissors or a knife is need to cut clothing off if needed in emergency and duct tape to assist in stopping heavy bleeding combined with other items.. I may be able to find a smaller bag/pouch to fit this all in now too. Also looking back but not mentioned, I removed the gloves because I have a small thing of Dr. Bronner's soap anyways in my pack and the gloves will be dirty in a second. Also chapstick is removed because I'll take some but will want it more accessible. Taking out water treatment tabs as I have a filter that's very dependable.

What's in your salve, sounds great, but can't you just put it in something smaller? 

redhtbassplyr
51 minutes ago, PaulGS said:

red, I’d suggest a triangular bandage, a disposable CPR mask and a First Aid app or book. Otherwise, your list of supplies looks good.

I have a triangular bandage here at the house, but I figured saving weight and just use the shirt I have on or the extra shirt I'll have and do most things. Anyone on the rare event that I have to give cpr to I would take my chances without a mask if it meant saving them. I have in the past without mask once, and it wasn't pleasant in many ways, but once again that's more weight to carry and I'll take my chances. Lastly, I'm an RN and work in a first responder role  with just about every different type of life support certifications they offer so I'm good on the book haha, and if I'm hurt to the point I'm unconscious or something and can't direct my care then I have a Garmin In-reach that has the SOS evacuation and/or Doctor available via text to ask questions/ direct care

Lunar_Herbalist

My slave is Tea Tree oil, witch hazel oil infused with white willow bark and vitamin e oil in a base of Beeswax.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I would suggest, provided you don't have them elsewhere, is a bandanna or 2.  They are very versatile and can be used many ways, as a bandage, sling and splint wraps to name a few.  I always keep a couple stashed in my pack.

redhtbassplyr

I do have an old worn one I use all the time that I was going to take if I don't replace it before then and yes very versatile. I keep it handy though not in the med kit. Looking for a new one though, just haven't found a design that I like at the places around here. Any ideas of where to find some good ones? Wish I could find a non-black Led Zeppelin one or something.

Tractor Supply near me has them in several colors, They are generally in the standard "country" pattern, though.  I generally get bright non natural (red, yellow) colors in the event I need them to be used as a distress signal.

You are getting good advice here.  I always assume that I should only take stuff that I am medically competent to use--which allows me to leave a lot of stuff at home.  Multi-tool?  Too heavy.  I already carry a small knife, and the tool doesn't offer anything useful for more weight. 

And Diamox?  It takes quite a while for that to take effect.  You would be better off hiking downhill than taking Diamox and waiting for it to help.  If you are seriously suffering from HACE/HAPE, get the heck off the mountain.

• Aaron Zagrodnick changed the title to Critique my medkit please. Anything missing?
  • Moderator locked this topic
  • Aaron Zagrodnick unlocked this topic