Hammock laying incorrectly

Lunar_Herbalist

Lunar_Herbalist

Okay, I need some help with this hammock.  Its a cheap Twisted Roots but I also have Yukon Outfitters hammock doing the same thing.  When I lay in my hammock (and even before you lay in it but harder to see) the hammock lays with the right side 6 inches or so higher than the other side in the middle. 

I have a photo of me laying with my feet toward the zipper and my chest on the opposite side as much as i can.  Basically, when I try to use this i'm doing a holding crunch while laying like this.  If i just lay however i can i'm folded into a small part of it and my hammock makes a J shape basically.

I think that my knot is the problem with the ends.  I haven't messed with these knots at all, but my theory is when it tightened down it bunched up some of the hammock a lot and the other part is relatively spread out making it pull awkwardly.  

Anyone else have this problem and how might one resolve this?  I thought about pulling the rope out and running paracord through.  I would then tie it so that the hammock fabric is in a loop where it won't tighten down like it does in the attached photos, or tying a loop in the paracord and using 1 carabiner to hold the hammock and another to attach to the tree strap so the hammock has more space for the fabric to spread out.

Thoughts?

20180804_161621.jpg

KnotBottom.jpg

KnotTop.jpg

Lunar_Herbalist

I ordered some climbing carabiners to replace the rope going through the hammock fabric.  I'm going to try it out and post the result.

Lunar_Herbalist

Over night I thought of just loosening the knot and putting both ends through the same carabiner since that should also have the same effect and I don't have to re-run cordage through the fabric.  It actually worked.  This is what i ended up doing and how my hammock lays now.

FLatHammock.jpg

LooseEnd.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Good to hear you were able to come up with a solution!

• Like 1

Lunar_Herbalist

Always an adventure.  It did shorten my overall length of the hammock but I suppose I could always use paracord to replace the rope if needed.

Sineadh Snyder

I have the same hammock. I found that using a ridge line with the hammock really helps. YouTube "hammock Ridgeline" for instructions.