Sky pond and Emerald lake trails in the Rockies: weather and clothes?

Naira

I'm leaving this weekend to hike the Sky pond and Emerald lake trails in the upper Rockies CO, it is said that the temperature is going to be around 40-60ish. Is it really that cold? should I bring a light running jacket or a waterproof hiking jacket? Thanks guys! 

yes, it really can be that chilly at 10,000ft.  I would recommend that you have a light jacket and gloves at a minimum when hiking at this altitude in Colorado, even in August.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I always take rain gear and a light jacket as part of my kit on any day hike. If it rains you can get chilled very easily even in mild temps without the right gear and mountain weather can be interesting - I've even weathered fairly significant mountain snow in August before. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John and Aaron! I brought rain gears as you guys suggested and they helped a lot. You are right, mountain weather is very unpredictable, it rained multiple times throughout the hike. I didn't bring gloves as John suggested and that has been proven to be a mistake... the later part of Sky Pond trail included scrambling up a small waterfall, the rocks were sharp, sleek and cold, my hands were freezing as the end. Sky Pond was a beautiful hike, attached are some pictures I took. Thanks again for the advices! 

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_8007_(2).JPG

Naira, glad you enjoyed the hike.  Emerald Lake is great little spot and pretty easy to get to.  Sorry you didn't have gloves.  Next time!

Rain is typical in the afternoon in the Rockies.  Frost can happen in any month.  Snow is possible. 

I was just out last week in the Sierra at 8,400 feet.  I broght a hat, gloves, fleece, layers, etc.

It was cool for August, 29 degrees once morning.  I will never backpack in the mountains without long johns again.