Arm and elbow pain while hiking? (no poles)

Jillian

Hi all, was recently hiking in Yosemite, 4 mile trail, and my arms, forearms and elbows started aching quite a bit. Aching started about 3/4ths up, ascending, and kept up on the descent. Never experienced this before so wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this. May be as simple as I was swinging my arms more than I thought but curious as to your responses. I'm 45 yrs old and not an experienced hiker but walk somewhat regularly every week. Thanks so much!

By the time you are getting to the top if Glacier point you're about 7000 feet up.  Was this your first day in Yosemite?  And did you think your arms were at all swollen?  If so, it's probably just your body adjusting to the altitude...and swinging your arms might accentuate the effect.

did you have a pack on?  Sometimes, if my day pack is not adjusted correctly, I will have some pins and needles sensation in the arms due to that, especially if I don't have a strap around the waist line.  Suspending weight from your shoulders incorrectly might hit a pressure point in your neck or shoulders and cause something like what you are describing.

Thanks so much for your insightful responses! Forgot to mention no pack. Elevation does seem a likely culprit...It was my second day in the park. Did some googling, and yes, high altitude with joint pain is common. To add, Jay got me thinking that posture too may have something to do with it. Thanks again!