First Multiday/Weekend Pack

Tyler310

Hey everyone, I just joined the forum today and was wondering if you could help me with my first big purchase. I'm 6ft about 215 and am looking for my first multiday/overnight backpack. Planning on a few trips in 2019. Up in Vermont, New Hampshire area most likely and hopefully one of the bigger parks out west like Glacier or Yosemite. I think I have narrowed it down to 2 bags but I keep changing my mind and was looking for some help. The two bags I've narrowed it down to are the Osprey Volt 60 or the Kelty Coyote 65. Please let me know any experiences you've had with these packs or if you have any suggestions in mind! Trying not to spend over ~180. Thanks for the help

Welcome to the forum.  My best advice would be to try to find a store that carries these packs and try them on, if possible, and look for the most comfortable fit.  What works for one person might not be so comfortable for another.  Both are very good packs, from what I know of them.  As your pack will eventually become an old friend (or enemy, if it doesn't fit right) I advise trying for fit before buying, if at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tyler, I've used the Osprey Volt 60 for 3 years now and have been happy with it.  I'm around 175 and 5' 10" and it adjusts well to my build. For the most comfortable backpacking, I try to keep my maximum weight to between 35 to 38lbs. versus Osprey's rating of 35 to 50 lbs.