Hello from Michigan

Kodiak

Well I began backpacking years ago when I lived in Dubois Wy. Love to hike in the wind river range.Also have hiked parts of the A.T. Most of Ga,all of Maryland ,and some in in New Hampshire. Had a great trip last fall into titcomb basin out of Pinedale Wy. So I found Trailgroove yesterday looking forward to the site always great to learn from others .

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Kodiak,

Welcome to the site! We're in Lander so I'm sure we've hiked through many of the same parts of the Winds...We've also started a few trips out of the Torrey Creek Trailhead just outside of Dubois. Michigan has some great backpacking as well however, so far I've been able to hit Manistee and a few trips up to the Porcupine Mountains. Hoping to make it back that way this year to explore a few more spots I haven't yet had a chance to check out!

Hey Kodiak,

Welcome to the site! We're in Lander so I'm sure we've hiked through many of the same parts of the Winds...We've also started a few trips out of the Torrey Creek Trailhead just outside of Dubois. Michigan has some great backpacking as well however, so far I've been able to hit Manistee and a few trips up to the Porcupine Mountains. Hoping to make it back that way this year to explore a few more spots I haven't yet had a chance to check out!

Hi Aaron

Did you hike up to bomber basin from Torry Creek one of my favorites,also read your articled on the Manistee River Trail was great I've been to the Porcupine Mnts a couple of time but from where I live in Mi.I can be down to the smokies almost in the same amount of time I enjoy the AT. Plus I ride a Goldwing so its fun to combine backpacking and Riding in the Smokie area.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for checking out the Manistee article! Haven't had a chance to head towards Bomber Basin yet, but would like to head that way this summer if possible. One trip that's been considered is going in from Elkhart and then heading out on the Glacier Trail through Bomber Basin to Torrey Creek Trailhead. We've gone the other way out of the trailhead however, up and over Whiskey Mountain, heading around to the north past Simpson Lake to Green River Lakes / Elkhart. Also on a day hike we've done the Lake Louise out and back.

When you head up to Bomber Basin make sure you take some time to look around the area you can still find parts of Bomber scattered all over the place from the crash.Also Lake Louise and Ross Lake is a great hike.If you go into Dubois stop by the silver sage gallery and say hi to my friend Gary Keimig he's an artist but also gos out everyday and takes great pics then post them on line under What You Missed In Dubois today make me miss the area everyday.

Kodiak,

No snow to speak of in this part of the country. I've been on two short (5 to 7 mile) "fitness maintenance" hikes this month, but that's all I've been able to fit in. I hope to get in a nice outing in the next week or so. Life just keeps getting in the way of my hiking schedule!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M
I'm a bad "speler"!

Thanks very much Kodiak,

The photo is of Maximus my Newfoundland (some owners call them Newfies), who goes along on about 90% of my outdoor activitites. You can see more of Maximus and our other "Newfie" Katie by checking out the album section of my profile on the TrailGroove site. My wife and I fostered then adopted Maximus who was rescued from a puppy mill; puppy mills are a major problem in the Midwest, especially neighboring Missouri.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas