Skyway Loop Trail/Talladega National Forrest

Opus

Hello! 

I am planning a solo hike for this coming March, and I have settled on the Skyway Loop Trail in the Talladega National Forrest. Since this is my first time in that area, I am hoping to chat with some folks who have hiked that trail and/or have experience with that area in early March. 

Any help is appreciated.

I am not a newbie, but this will be my first completely solo hike, so I am doing as much planning as possible.

Opus

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alabama/skyway-loop-trail

http://www.secretfalls.com/hiking/skyway-loop-trail

Suppose you're referring to the loop formed by combining the Skyway Trail, the Chinnabee Silent Trail, and Pinhoti Trail, which forms a 18+-mile loop beginning at Adam's Gap.

I added this loop to a Pinhoti Tr NoBo thru-hike to the Benton Mckaye Tr SoBo to Springer MT one Feb.

Cheaha SP is a an Alabama gem. I always try to schedule a b'fast sunrise or dinner sunset meal on the deck at the Vista Cliffside Restaurant deck. Walking out on the cliff edge was one of my favorite things to experience.

Yup that’s the one. I have 3 days carved out to take my time and enjoy it. 

Are there any particular sights or areas that you recommend lingering over or a particularly nice campsite?

My plan is to hike it clockwise and camp on the ridge my second night. 

Cheaha Falls, CF Shelter, Devil'sRun, Lake Chinabee, etc. You have 3 days. Go explore. Create your own adventure. You could experience Cheaha SP and the AL state high pt too if you did a lollipop ,  add a 5 m stick(spur) to the loop. Park at Adams Gap, the SP, or lake or...? Look at the map at 5:11 

This is why I came here! 

Thanks a bunch for the info. I was able to print that map of the website to pair up with my Alltrails map.

Where is that AL high point? I would like to add that to my list of things to see

The AL state high pt is in Cheaha SP just a stones throw from the restaurant, CG, hotel, dorms, camp store, etc. It's a stone observation tower you can enter. There are some short trails to rock overlooks Bald Rock, Pulpit Rock,.... The lollipop can be done by walking the paved road back out the SP Entrance to where the Pinhoti Tr crosses hwy 281 and hiking south or taking an unmaintained vague  use trail  from near the Bald Rock Lodge and boardwalk that goes out to Bald Rock steeply down to the Pinhoti Tr and heading south.  For a three day hike the extra roughly 5 miles  is well worth it scenically.  

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=asGKPjjC&id=F7CED54DF9F5CD1E34B765D33DFE857FC1887E15&thid=OIP.asGKPjjCGEyB8djqhuyyWwHaD3&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.alapark.com%2fsites%2falapark.com%2ffiles%2fstyles%2flarge%2fpublic%2fCCC%20Guided%20tour%20map_0.jpg%3fitok%3d_buGOeGX&exph=460&expw=882&q=cheaha+state+park+map&simid=608015635024120471&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

• 3 weeks later...

Any suggestions on which whether to go clockwise or counter-clockwise? I have no preference and planned on settling it with a coin toss when I arrive.

maybe take into acct where you're parking? up skyway.  down china bee.  I'd try planning my route direction based on MPD with organizing for at least one CS river stay.   

My plan was to go counter-clockwise starting from Adams Gap. I wanted to stay on Talladega Mountain my first night, perhaps at one of the campsites around 5 miles in (according to the Pinhoti Alliance trail guide). The next day I would set out early and see how far I can get into the Chinnabee/Skyway Loop section. If I feel inspired, I would head up 281 to the highest point. I have 3 days so my options are open.