2019 Hiking Plans

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Curious as to what’s in the plans for everyone in 2019. Personally I’ll be exploring here in the Wyoming Rockies - and will probably continue a trend I started last year on exploring some backcountry locations a little more in depth with lots of offtrail hiking. Hope to finally get to a couple wilderness study areas that have been on my list for a while close by as well. Somewhat more of the same, but can’t complain!

Where is everyone headed this year? Any exciting hiking plans?

I’m hoping to explore more of the Canadian Rockies in Banff and Yoho National Park. Paradise Valley, Amiskwi Valley and Alexandra River are a few of the places I am planning to backpack to.

I also may visit Joshua Tree Ntl Park later in the year and may try my first overnight backpack in a desert.

• Like 1

We've got plans to visit Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon and other sites this spring, then later in the summer headed for Utah and Colorado.  July and August is for RMNP to Glacier on an extended swing

Can you tell we're retired?

• Like 1

Planning to finally get to Yellowstone this year.  Was all set to go this last year but could not at the last minute.  Currently planning on visiting the Lamar Valley when I can.  Also hoping to do part of the Sheltowee Trace in Daniel Boone National Forest.  Other trips as time allows.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds like some great trips are in the works all around so far! 

Hello from the other side of the nation! New to the site, so please pardon my tardiness to the post.

I live by Lake Erie in Pennsylvania, so my choices of trails are a little more limited than you guys out west. However, I have plans to hike the Pennsylvanian section of the North Country NST, as well as some of the smaller trails in my area (Fred J. Cusimano Overland Trail, Hickory Creek Wilderness Trail, et al). Presque Isle SP also has a bunch of little trails that I take my canine companion on after work so we can work off our winter weight and get back to proper form. If I can get the time off work in the fall, I'm also planning on meeting up with my college buddies for a trip up the AT.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

No tardiness at all and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have plenty of great plans for the year mapped out - let us know how the trips go!

Ah! I have tons of plans. After hiking North Carolina to death over the last few years including a 3 day trip on the Appalachian Trail in June of 2018, I have been relocated to The Great State of Texas. So far I have hit most the best trails/areas within 80 miles of my new home in Round Rock that aren't urban. Still have plans to hit the Caprock Canyons Trailway this summer, Palo Duro Canyon and if I can get time travel to Denver for a reciprocal trip to hike some Rocky Mountains trails with my niece and sister who were kind enough to come east to join me on my AT excursion!.

Hello, I've been planning and mapping out a Cascade Volcanoes Thru-hike, which I may or may not embark on this year. Anyone interested in this idea, or possibly joining me for a summit or two? 

A bit about the trail: There are exactly 85 points of destination to this hike; including volcanoes, buttes, and other volcanic features. This route will extend from northern California to lower British Columbia and will also visit lava tubes, ice caves, and several crater lakes and hot springs. The goal may not be to summit every feature, but to at least explore them. Although the Cascade Volcanoes extend for approximately 700 miles, the length of this route will be closer to 1500 or more miles. 

Possible difficulties: Permits, passports, and the lack of people to engage and share the adventure with.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in following along with, or directly participating in, let me know. It's not something I necessarily want to do "alone".

For a complete list of the destination points, visit here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cascade_volcanoes

And good luck on your adventures too!

IMG_2482 - Copy.JPG

• Premium Member

I just pulled a killer permit in the Grand Canyon. Down the Hermit Trail to the River, then on the Tonto Trail to Indian Gardens and up Bright Angel. I’m going with my brother and best friend from high school. I can’t wait.

Tonight I’m going to get on the horn to see about a Sierra trip too.