Hello from California!

IPv6Freely

Hi all. I'm new to the site and to the hobby in general. 

About a year ago my wife and I went on a crazy (but medically prescribed diet) and decided to get more active. We started taking walks, which led to "hiking" (aka walks on trails) and things quickly progressed. We started car camping, and 65lbs later we joined the Sierra Club and signed up for the Wilderness Basics Course (WBC). We went on our first Sierra Club car camp trip a while ago and last week was our first ever overnight backpacking trip. We were supposed to go backpacking in the mountains this weekend with the WBC but they postponed because of the snow (we haven't yet had our lessons for snow camping). 

Anyway, now that I've gone from just collecting everything I need to actually dialing my gear lists in, and shedding weight where I can, I thought this would be a good time to seek out a forum. Unfortunately so many of them, including some of the biggest and most popular, use forum software that looks like its straight out of 1997 and I find that painful. So when I saw one that uses this I jumped on it (I manage another community of 20,000+ members using this software). 

See you all on the trails! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2019 at 1:29 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Hi all. I'm new to the site and to the hobby in general. 

About a year ago my wife and I went on a crazy (but medically prescribed diet) and decided to get more active. We started taking walks, which led to "hiking" (aka walks on trails) and things quickly progressed. We started car camping, and 65lbs later we joined the Sierra Club and signed up for the Wilderness Basics Course (WBC). We went on our first Sierra Club car camp trip a while ago and last week was our first ever overnight backpacking trip. We were supposed to go backpacking in the mountains this weekend with the WBC but they postponed because of the snow (we haven't yet had our lessons for snow camping). 

Anyway, now that I've gone from just collecting everything I need to actually dialing my gear lists in, and shedding weight where I can, I thought this would be a good time to seek out a forum. Unfortunately so many of them, including some of the biggest and most popular, use forum software that looks like its straight out of 1997 and I find that painful. So when I saw one that uses this I jumped on it (I manage another community of 20,000+ members using this software). 

See you all on the trails! 

Welcome to the Hikers Forum TrailGroove, YES, a long winter this year as I read a news report calling it a Mini-Ice-Age due to SUN Spots, which seem to occur about every 200-years by NASA scientist and last about 20-years. They believe this is the first year.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-14/mini-ice-age-looms-nasa-scientist-warns-lack-sunspots-could-bring-record-cold

Welcome and stay warm and a good time to review and check over gear in the event a window happens to open. A big congratulations to both of you on the weight loss. Stay safe and don't push the need, unless advised by the experts.

If you live in South California, you may want to learn about the De Anza Rescue, here is a link: 

http://www.deanzarescueunit.com/

Again welcome to the forum.