Help me decide on a new day pack

Kai Winters

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the threads and replies thus far.

I'm in the market for a new daypack and am considering the following:

Gregory Miwok 18

Northface Recon

Kelty Dillon 32

I am hoping some members have used or are using these packs and can give me a recommendation. I have done a lot of online reading and watching YouTube videos on them...all favorable.

I've chosen these because I am able to try them on in the local Gander Mtn. I've tried on a number of packs and find these the most comfortable for my short height and average torso. I'm 5'5".

I will use it for day hikes up to 4 plus hours...starting with nice weather and a good forecast...It will carry the typical day hike gear plus 2 light weight wind/rain jackets, light lunch, etc.

I have a Kelty waist bag and really like it for short hikes.

They are all in the same price category and I am really easy on my gear. I have some stuff that is well over 20 years old and working fine.

Thank you,

Kai

Kai,

I'm a big, big Kelty fan, using either my Kelty Blanca or Redwing for day hikes. I love their quality and versatility; they will last forever with a little care. I have seen the Dillon model, and remember thinking they were mainly for student use. Perhaps I am incorrect on this.

Main thing I would suggest is not to overrate the importance of the price. If you wind up with a bag you like, any price differential is insignificant when you consider how many years of enjoyment you will get out of this purchase. Naturally, fit and comfort of wear is critical. Good luck!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Thanks Gary,

I am not worried too much about the price. I'd rather pay a premium for quality and have it work well when I need it.

It is going to be just a day pack and is large enough to carry what I want/need...the Gregory is the smallest of the three and the Kelty seemed to fit me the best and the most comfortable.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Kai,

I don't have any experience with the packs you've mentioned, but my daypack vote has to go to the REI Flash 18. The price is right and it's light and durable. (Check out our Issue 1 Flash 18 Review) On the downside there are no external pockets, but since I normally use a hydration system it hasn't been a big deal. REI also recently came out with the heavier Flash 22 which might be a good choice if the side pockets are something you're looking for.

Hi Kai..I dont know if you are dead set on a traditional backpack but a sling pack may be a good option for ya.

patagonia-atom-sling-pack

Kai Winters

Visited my local EMS Friday hoping to try out a lot of day packs. After trying on packs like the Osprey Talon 22 I just didn't like wearing anything on my shoulders just for a day hike. Found a display of MountainSmith lumbar type packs and became a happy hiker. I bought the Tour TLS lumbar packs after wandering the store with it on. I also packed some stuff inside it to simulate weight. Wow what a great fit. Sits on my hips just right and is very roomy and well made.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm taking it on a snow shoeing hike tomorrow and will post about how it worked out.

Hey Kai,

I should have thought to suggest the Mountainsmith Tour TLS as I have enjoyed using one for shorter (say under 2 or 3 hour) day hikes about the last 4 years.

Again, I love the versatility, top quality, and ease of use of the Mountainsmith. The waistbelt is really comfortable (in comparison to my traditional shoulder strap packs), and I am able to get enough gear inside for my shorter day hikes.

Most hikers probably shy away from lumbar packs, but if they gave this one a try, I think many hikers would be sold on this model.

I wore mine today for a short snow hike with my wife and our two Newfies, and we had a blast out in the sun and snow. Hiking is good! Hope your hike went as well...

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Kai Winters

Hi Gary M,

I used mine yesterday for a 3 mile snow shoe hike in the Tug Hill area of Northern NY. The pack took a bit of adjusting before I got it "just right". Once I got it right I forgot it was there. Very nice. It also holds quiet a bit more than expected and is very well made.

I may still get a pack...I've added the Osprey Talon 22 to the list...they had them at EMS and it fit quite well and is in the same price range.

Thanks to those that gave their input.

Here is a pic of the pack, me and a wonderful trail.

074_zpsb738fb8b.jpg