Backpack Causing Pain Under Armpit

FastHamFreddy

FastHamFreddy

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot, but I recently purchased a Granite Gear Crown 2 60L and its fits well (I am pretty sure) The hip belt sits about an inch about my hip bones (the top of the hip belt) the arm straps can sit snugly on my shoulders, but when they do and I fasten the chest clip, I get this pressure/pain (like someone is digging their knuckle into my ribs right below my armpit). It is coming from the arm strap.

I have tried loosening the chest strap all the way, which works (kinda) but that causes the arm straps to be too loose and the pack moves around. It just seems if I get it comfortably on my back, the pain on my ribs caused by the arm straps is there no matter what I do. 

Move the chest trap up or down. Try to move the hip belt a little bit up or down. Try to adjust the top straps that pull the pack all the way toward me. 

Bottom line, if the pack is snugly strapped to me, the pain in my ribs below my armpits seem to be there. 

Anyone have any experience with this, or know if I am doing something wrong? Is it an indication the pack is too big?

Thanks everyone, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Every pack fits differently.  This may just be the way this pack fits on your body.  It seems to me that you are trying all the right things to fix the problem...

Only one issue:  the hip belt should fit right ON your hips, not above it.  Try loosening the shoulder straps until it sits right on your hips, then snug everything back up again

Edited by balzaccom

• 2 weeks later...

Too tight around the arm pits could be improperly over cinched shoulder strap webbing , sternum(chest?) strap, and possibly load lifters too tight. Make sure to have torso length determined with  the packs specked torso length in agreement. Too short a pack torso length can result in the arm pit area too tight.