Issue 42 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

Richard Lee

Mosquito repellent

Richard Lee

Anyone have any good gear or equipment for Mosquito repellent?

I have only been to a few trail in Canada.

Especially when I hike during the summer, i'm always having some difficulty time to deal with mosquito! 

how do you guys deal with them or do ppl just ignore them :( 

DustOff

I have used "Jungle Juice" from REI, which is about 100% DEET.  I used it in the Army.  We were flying mountain rescue in Washington State and foot hills in the Cascades were mosquito factories.  Never seen them so big or prolific except in Alaska.  I tried all kinds of stuff and Jungle Juice worked the best for me.  Put on your socks and pant legs it also deterred chiggers.

DustOff

Aaron's article on avoiding mosquito and ticks what he shares is also applicable to chiggers.  Great article with some good suggestions. 

In the tropics mosquito protection takes on a more important role as you are avoiding malaria and dengue fever.  That is where I find Jungle Juice very effective.  There are also anti-malaria medicine that may be worth checking into if traveling in areas of known malaria problems.  Dengue Fever, which was known as Break Bone Fever by WW II soldiers, is a whole other problem  If not treated and proper ancillary life support taken it can be fatal.  

So the lowly mosquito is something to be taken seriously.  They can prove to not only be a nuisance, but cause severe medical conditions.  Zika comes to mind.  Know the conditions where you are traveling.

PaulGS
On 6/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, Richard Lee said:

Anyone have any good gear or equipment for Mosquito repellent?I have only been to a few trail in Canada.

PaulGS

Do you live in Canada Richard Lee? If so, you can purchase mosquito repellants with a maximum DEET concentration of 30%.

I use Watkins Insect Repellant Lotion (28.5% DEET) and it has worked very well for me in the Rockies. 

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-875/28-5%-Deet-Insect-Repellent-Lotion-240ml

You can purchase it at MEC and sometimes Costco. You also might find using a head net useful too.