Hello from the Philippines

DustOff

I am an OLD GUY getting back into hiking and backpacking after major spine surgery - Fusion L4/L5 for Idiopathic Symptomatic Epidural Lipomatosis.  Can you say 1 in a million RARE condition!!!!   I don't fit the profile for the rare people who are diagnosed with this condition.  Fortunately I did not have any underlying disk or spinal column issues.  Just way too much epidural tissue - they removed 3 1/2 ounces from inside the spine that was pinching the spinal cord and nerves in the L4/L5 area.  Before the operation I was in a wheelchair and could not walk 3 meters without excruciating pain!  As a Disabled Veteran I had to return to the States for the surgery and it was fairly successful.  I still deal with discomfort and some pain, but it is livable. 

My hopes is that transfering the majority of the weight to the hips and being in much better shape I will be good to go.  I'm walking 5 - 8 km per day now and lifting dumbells carefully.  The process is going well!  Expect continued improvement.

Planning a backpacking trip to Taiwan to two national parks in October.  

• Taroko National Park
  • Shei-Pa National Park

Hope to catch the fall colors.  

See you on the Trail

Fred / DustOff

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum DustOff and best of luck getting back out there. Let us know how the trips go!

• 6 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 7:40 AM, DustOff said:

I am an OLD GUY getting back into hiking and backpacking after major spine surgery - Fusion L4/L5 for Idiopathic Symptomatic Epidural Lipomatosis.  Can you say 1 in a million RARE condition!!!!   I don't fit the profile for the rare people who are diagnosed with this condition.  Fortunately I did not have any underlying disk or spinal column issues.  Just way too much epidural tissue - they removed 3 1/2 ounces from inside the spine that was pinching the spinal cord and nerves in the L4/L5 area.  Before the operation I was in a wheelchair and could not walk 3 meters without excruciating pain!  As a Disabled Veteran I had to return to the States for the surgery and it was fairly successful.  I still deal with discomfort and some pain, but it is livable. 

My hopes is that transfering the majority of the weight to the hips and being in much better shape I will be good to go.  I'm walking 5 - 8 km per day now and lifting dumbells carefully.  The process is going well!  Expect continued improvement.

Planning a backpacking trip to Taiwan to two national parks in October.  

• Taroko National Park
  • Shei-Pa National Park

Hope to catch the fall colors.  

See you on the Trail

Fred / DustOff

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your Military Service. Like yourself I had back surgery L1, L2, and L3. The first year of recovery was better and faster, which I had it taken care of years prior. One could say walking, I felt helped with my back issues. But I should not have taken so long to get the needed surgery.  Also a veteran myself and was luckily not to have seen any action. Did get a disability first time through, for AO contact.

After NAM I recall we made a rest stop in the Philippine's. Off the aircraft, I recall a painting of General Douglas MacArthur, and wall mural at the Airport of his famous beach landing. Then some more Guys on the Freedom Bird to the wake island and onto the USA.

I did not do it when I was on a lay over in Japan. But was told you could Hike up the Hillside of mountain called Mt. Fuji and at certain elevations you could buy a walking stick, that was carved out with points as to how high you claimed. Had always thought that would have been a cool thing to have done. Also got me doing things, than living a life and not doing.

Have fun on your up-coming hike's and take some photos to share with your NEW Forum of Hikers and doers. Getter done Buddy and never quite.