Issue 42 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a Premium Membership or read online here.

DustOff

Hello from the Philippines

DustOff

I am an OLD GUY getting back into hiking and backpacking after major spine surgery - Fusion L4/L5 for Idiopathic Symptomatic Epidural Lipomatosis.  Can you say 1 in a million RARE condition!!!!   I don't fit the profile for the rare people who are diagnosed with this condition.  Fortunately I did not have any underlying disk or spinal column issues.  Just way too much epidural tissue - they removed 3 1/2 ounces from inside the spine that was pinching the spinal cord and nerves in the L4/L5 area.  Before the operation I was in a wheelchair and could not walk 3 meters without excruciating pain!  As a Disabled Veteran I had to return to the States for the surgery and it was fairly successful.  I still deal with discomfort and some pain, but it is livable. 

My hopes is that transfering the majority of the weight to the hips and being in much better shape I will be good to go.  I'm walking 5 - 8 km per day now and lifting dumbells carefully.  The process is going well!  Expect continued improvement.

Planning a backpacking trip to Taiwan to two national parks in October.  

• Taroko National Park
  • Shei-Pa National Park

Hope to catch the fall colors.  

See you on the Trail

Fred / DustOff

Aaron

Welcome to the forum DustOff and best of luck getting back out there. Let us know how the trips go!