flame Wars of the Orange kind

balzaccom

OK--I am a little tired of seeing blobs of international Orange and Day-Glo Yellow on the granite slabs above the lakes we love.  Isn't it about time we tried to make more of our gear a nice earth tone?

Yeah, I know that orange helps you get found in the snow--but really, how big an issue is that for most backpackers?  None at all.  Instead of camping out in plain sight of every hiker in the area, why not pitch your nice grey tent in a copse of trees where it doesn't impinge on anyone else's view?  (Admittedly, we did this once, only to discover that someone else pitched their "Orange" tent about 25 feet away, because our tent was so unobtrusive that they thought it was a rock, not a tent...!)

Here's what the LNT website says:  "Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents, that can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow may contribute to a crowded feeling; consider earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impacts."

I agree.

I am of the same mind.  Most of my stuff is in subdued tones.  While I understand some people feel more comfortable with brightly colored equipment, I have always shied away from it.  I do usually carry a couple of brightly colored bandannas for emergencies, should I need something for high visibility.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I prefer gear and clothing in natural tones as well (other than during hunting season where I go the opposite route). I've heard a lot of people say that bright colors make for better photographs, and I can see that perspective in regard to contrast but I have plenty of great photos with a grey or olive tent, in fact I prefer that the view be the star as opposed to the gear. I even prefer non-reflective guylines for my shelters (although I do like a bright color just for lines as a compromise to limit trips). However, I do know some hikers who like to wear bright colors just because, well that might be their favorite color which might make a trip more enjoyable for them, and there's something to be said for that as well. :)

Exactly, so, Aaron.  Others with bright colored gear does actually give me and advantage, though.  If I can see them, I am too close! :) 

I much prefer to be solo out in the backcountry.  Solitude is a good thing for me, it heightens my appreciation for all things wild.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That is an interesting consideration - I’m of a similar type in that I like to get off the beaten path so to speak. Not always solo however but whether solo or not that sense of remoteness is always something I’m seeking destination wise either way.

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

I definitely agree with LNT in general on this. My favorite tent for many years has been a green MSR Hubba. I have a silver Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo that is pretty muted as well. I'm definitely not a big fan of the orange or red tents out there. I'm much less picky about clothes.

It is somewhat nice to be able to see when other sites are occupied in the backcountry so I don't walk over there looking to set up only to be disappointed. In certain spots my tent has blended in so well that others have walked over and almost started setting up only to be disappointed when they see my tent tucked into the trees 10 feet away.