MSR Access 1 Ultralight Tent Review

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The MSR Access 1 tent is conceived as a one person, ultralight, four-season tent suited for winter backpacking, ski touring, and snowshoeing and especially in locations that may be at or around the treeline. It’s also suited for any location that will involve cold, wind, or otherwise winter conditions combined with your overnight activity of choice. In this review I’ll review the MSR Access 1 – the solo version of the tent. There is also a 2-person option and a 3-person variant and either green or bright orange outer fly colors are available. Green would suit use on rocky or grassy mountains and desert areas where one might prefer to blend in, while orange is ideal on snow or ice for visibility to others, or just when you need to find your tent again after a hike from camp. The orange option is so visible that I have hesitated to pitch it on one occasion when a rescue helicopter was passing nearby. The Access 1 retails...

@Rob Newton reviews the Access 1 tent from MSR, an ultralight tent that's ready for 4 season and winter trips. You can find the full review below in Issue 44:

Issue 44 Page 1

• 1 month later...

The MSR Access 1 looks like a winterized Hubba 1. It looks pretty small in my opinion once one throws in a winter sleeping bag, winter coats, extra clothes, gloves, etc.  and if I had the chance I'd try and pick up an Access 2 (but likely still use it for one person) instead as it only weighs a few ounces more. Winter tents are so expensive and hard on the budget for the number of times they are normally used so finding a used one or one on eBay would be preferable. $750 Canadian is the going price here in Calgary which is too much for my budget :mellow:. Looks like a beautiful tent though.

Thanks for the comments Paul, I'd say you're spot on. There's enough room in the vestibule for pack, outer layers, cooking and down the sides of the inner for quite a bit of stuff, only the length I think would be tight for taller folks. Agree on the budget front but you can get them occasionally for less in spring/fall sales or outdoors forums etc and its usable in Summer also without the inner. I mailed MSR/Cascade Designs to ask if the green outer fly was available separately (to get more use out of it) and they said only the orange ones are, so you might want to buy a green one to have that option ...