Backpacking in Sarek National Park

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

In over 15 years of travel through wild places, I found a 17 day hike nearing 200 miles in Arctic Sweden truly one of my most enjoyable hikes. The hike took me through a true wilderness area called Sarek, where there are no marked trails. Leading up to my Sarek hike I had hiked the northern section of the Kunglseden Trail in northern Sweden from Abisko to Nikkaluokta in mid-September 2013 and mountain-biked the same in the other direction a year later. I’ve also been to Abisko in winter several times for cross-country skiing and just to observe the Aurora Borealis. It’s a great location for this as it tends to be very dry with clear skies and cold temperatures (below zero degree temperatures regularly). The first time I heard about Sarek was from other hikers on this trail, who referred to it as so remote you have to take a helicopter in, and it was also described as the wettest place in Sweden, which is saying something. So why would anyone in their right mind want to go there? A few years ago I was lucky enough to attend and evening talk given by the wonderful Olive McGloin, the first woman to yo-yo the PCT...

In Issue 44, @Rob Newton shares this story and photography detailing a backpacking trip in Sweden's scenic Sarek National Park. You can find the full article at the following link:

Backpacking Sarek National Park: Unforgettable Adventure in Arctic Sweden

Backpacking in Sarek National Park Sweden

Issue 44 Page 1