Yes I'm OK

LouF1957

I am an experienced hiker who usually goes solo because not many people go where I go (desert, off-trail, etc).  My question is how do I get people to stop asking me if I'm OK?  It seems really rude to me.  Here I am going along great, maybe on mile 10 or 15 of a strenuous hike, feeling strong and satisfied at my accomplishment, and along comes somebody on a mountain bike, or another hiker, and interrupts my happiness with "Are you OK?"  I want to scream, h*** yes, I'm OK!  but usually I just say yes and move on.  But I remain upset for hours or even days afterwards.  And it's not that they genuinely care for my well-being.  I had a mountain biker pass me downhill at 30 MPH and yelled at me "Are you OK?" and by the time I could have answered he was 50 feet downhill.  It just seemed like he was throwing a verbal dagger in me.  It feels so much like an intentional putdown, as if to say "I'm OK, but you're obviously not."  I would never ask somebody if they were OK but I might say "How you doing?" and open the door if they needed something.  Am I all alone in this?  Can anyone else relate?  Also, and more importantly, what should I say and how do I keep from getting angry?  Thanks for all responses.

Take a deep breath and smile.  Then ask them if they're OK.  Then continue hiking.  Not sure why you let this get to you...

And stop hiking in those torn clothes, with a limp, and with a grimace on your face...:-)

Edited by balzaccom
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for responding.  After all the brainstorming I've done I haven't come up with a better idea than what you've suggested.  And I figure if I'm not grimacing, I'm not pushing myself hard enough! : ) take care