Backpacker/Fly Fisherman from CA

Geezer Tom

66670416_untitled(2).jpg.52c49836eee8759d3026b603fe8b2bfa.jpg

_MG_2038.thumb.jpg.53755effd5caed3db3bbea9a82458494.jpg

Very new to this forum and website. Very much a veteran of back country travel and have been backpacking since 1968. All of my trips nowadays are centered around obscure, weird little streams that are potentially full of fish. Almost all of my trips are solo. While I don't consider myself an ultra-light type, I do try hard to keep my pack weight down, especially the older I get. I joined this site because, while I go solo (most of the time), I enjoy other trail people and I am always interested in sharing, or stealing, good ideas. My photos are from the Sierra and is Brooke (4 legs) and myself (2 legs) on one of my great fish finds. There were trout almost every cast. The second photo is me on the way to the upper Kern River and Junction Meadows (by way of New Army Pass). I hope to read and acquaint myself with other members here that are as passionate as I am.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to TrailGroove Tom! I'm also one that tries to combine flyfishing with my backpacking trips when possible. Just curious, any reason you tend to target / prefer the streams as opposed to backcountry lakes?

I fish some lakes. Mostly the inlets and outflow. When I first started flinging feathers my delivery was awful. I found that my casting (or lack of) skill worked better on streams. Over the years my casting has become very good. However, I developed stream and small river techniques early and stuck with them. A  typical trip is to find a campsite and set up for 2 nights. On the layover day I will fish upstream for a half day, have lunch and then fish downstream all afternoon. Plus...Brooke (on right in photo) has learned to find fish (on left of photo) in streams. Harder to do in lakes.

DSC_2480.thumb.JPG.5dd854a8e5d3806a88387da6bad7a945.JPG

• Like 1