Tarp camping

bkpackerb

I'm thinking of making the switch (at least attempting) to ditch my tent and go with a tarp for fair weather backpacking. Does anyone out there use tarps and if so have you had any encounters with any little varmits joining you during the night?

B

tmountainnut

I'm thinking of making the switch (at least attempting) to ditch my tent and go with a tarp for fair weather backpacking. Does anyone out there use tarps and if so have you had any encounters with any little varmits joining you during the night?

B

I use a six moon designs gatewood cape with either the inner net tent or a mountain laurel designs ultralight bivy sack. I've been tending to be bringing the bivy sack instead of the net tent lately since it has better spray protection if the weather turns really bad. However both the bivy sack and the inner net tent can be used without the tarp on nice nights, and both of them seal out bugs. If I'm going somewhere where there are a lot of bugs, I’ll probably use the inner net since that'll give me some more usable space.

Edited by tmountainnut