Beginner hiking gear - please help

warriordazza

Hello all,

First time here but I recently started hiking and really enjoy it. Me and my partner are looking to do more so are wanting to invest into some proper gear.
We live in QLD so we have access to most stores and online of course. We read that Kathmandu was good but also patagonia or anaconda. I also found the mountain warehouse online as well.
We want gear we can use in multi terrains so something flexible in it's use that would last and maybe you have good experience.
Any recommendations is wanted thanks.
D

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 6:32 AM, warriordazza said:

Hello all,

First time here but I recently started hiking and really enjoy it. Me and my partner are looking to do more so are wanting to invest into some proper gear.
We live in QLD so we have access to most stores and online of course. We read that Kathmandu was good but also patagonia or anaconda. I also found the mountain warehouse online as well.
We want gear we can use in multi terrains so something flexible in it's use that would last and maybe you have good experience.
Any recommendations is wanted thanks.
D

The question, you are asking is not that simple to answer. Outside are a lot of dangers and even simple things require understanding and training. My training is very old school courtesy of uncle Sam. But I want to give you some helpful advice, that may in the long run save your life.

Here is just two of many outdoor training tours. For groups that train others for the outdoors. Not knowing you I have NO idea what you know or need to know to be ready. But whatever you do BE SAFE and GET Professional guidance. Here is a link to order a FREE Catalog from the REI/Sierra Club I hope will point you into the right direction for training and they may be close to where you live. It's called the "REI and the Sierra Club" Please don't be foolish watching some YouTube video's as there is a lot to know and it all starts with the first and next step you take, so please be smart.

Here is a late added Training for outdoor wilderness link I came across: Added on March 2, 2020:

https://graybeardedgreenberet.com/wilderness-survival-training-certification/

The following were part of the original post).

https://www.rei.com/events/a/hiking-and-camping

https://content.sierraclub.org/outings/request-catalog

The outdoors is truly a wonderful fun place to escape the hassles of our everyday world. But it can be unforgiving of you are not ready for the journey. Make sure whom ever you get information from is certified and not because, they say they are. Check them out as your life is truly in their hands. But hey, the training can be a lot of fun, meeting folks with your same interest.

Enjoy be safe and see you on the TRAIL. "Pocket"

• 5 months later...

Thanks as we have ordered some of your USB training & Survial tips Videos. NO Joke, some good stuff. Thanks, as we did follow your advise and found some good sorces as well as yourself.

• 1 year later...
Michael aka Mac

Well sadly you really didn't give enough info for someone to answer your question

1) what temperature and altitude of where you are going

2) what is your budget

3) do you have any weight constraints (bad back or ankle and need to carry lighter              loads)

4) and even body weight  ( no more then 10% of total body weight for your gear)

Personally i would suggest an internal backpack 50 liter weighing ~ 2 lbs

If not in high altitude you can use an alcohol stove or a folding/collapsible light weight fire pit ( $13-$25 range  4- 8 oz weight)

do you want individual backpacks are ones that can zipper to each other to form one large bag.  I prefer sleeping bags that are lightweight and that are not bulky

the real trick to an enjoyable camping experience is not having a heavy load to schlep around

Are you going to have individual hydration bladders for water or canteens  etc

What kind of stove you get also determines what kind of mess kit . like a Coleman aluminum mess kit (8oz weight)would melt cooking over the Jetboil or directly over a raging  fire

• 4 months later...
Michael aka Mac

the above paragraph was suppose to be 

do you want individual sleeping bags or ones that can zipper to each other to form one large sleeping bag.  I prefer sleeping bags that are lightweight and that are not bulky

Edited by Michael aka Mac