Leki Trekking Poles

Gary M

Hi, Gary. Have you ever been cross-country skiing? Or even seen a video of it?

You can use the poles the same way, to push yourself ahead and to power up hills. To do that, though, the force has to be applied behind you, so you always want to keep them back.

Gary,

That's the way I use the trekking poles on even ground - tips behind me. Going downhill, tips in front to help balance me. I don't know if there's any right or wrong way of doing it. Just whatever is most comfortable for you - try out different methods and go with what works best for you.

HikerJen and Peter,

I have only used the trekking poles twice, so I will have to try again and use your suggestions. Went hiking today, but did not use Leki (see Activity Stream)

Gary M

Olathe,Kansas

Edited by Gary M
grammer

Gary,

Going downhill, tips in front to help balance me.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that - downhill the tips go out in front, as Jen mentions. If you have the wrist straps on, you can use them to keep the poles in place when you swing them around in front. See the pommel? That's for your palm when you go downhill.

I prefer using one pole, or my good 'ole Diamond Willow staff. This allows me to have a hand free if i choose to perform a 'gravity test'... heh