Anything Crazy about your on Trail encounters?

Pocket

While on a short hike out West of Los Vegas came upon a Donkey. He or she can't recall which just looked at me, from about 20' foot away. I stopped and called my Dog to my side to heal, which she did. Quietly, putting her back on the lead and we stood quit for about 30- seconds. I started talking softly and he seems to have no fear and did nothing did not even try and run. I slowly kept talking as we began to walk in a direction away from and after passing by the Donkey which once well past began walking off in the direction we came from. I thought if I had accidentally walked into a pasture or some open range. Once back at the vehicle I learned there are many Donkeys in the area and was mostly fed by people, but was wild. I drove off in a big loop and saw other Donkeys off the side of the roadway. I'm sure this has happened to others?

But I'm more interested in any encounters you may have had while on a hiking trail? 

Thanks, In-advance

Met two different people on two different occasions pogo sticking for 10+ miles on the AT , one male below Blood Mt in GA headed towards Neel Gap who was doing a 20+ mile pogo stick trek,  one in NC looking like Pippy Longstocking replete with fiery long red hair in pig tails  and red and white knee high socks.   Boing Boing Boing

Along similar lines, we saw a herd of wild horses living in the Backcountry of Death Valley.  Even the rangers were unaware they were there.

• Thanks 1

Once while exploring around Tamarac NWR in MN a few years ago I was following a trail and out of the corner of my eye, something large was at the crest of a hill coming towards me. I had my mind focused on something else at that moment and it didn’t occur to me what it was. Moments later, only 75’ away was a large male black bear. The wind was in my face and I then realized he hadn’t picked up my scent yet. He saw me but his nose didn’t. I made some noise with my hiking staff on a nearby tree. He stopped then. He looked around, trying to pick my scent up. Almost instantaneously he turned left and rushed to his left away from me. Small trees and branches crashing as he loped out of view, still hearing him after I couldn’t see him. 
As he turned sideways I saw the immensity 
of his massive bulk. 700 pounds or more. Shockingly huge. But it was his speed away from me that stunned the most. Like whitetail deer speed. I’ve seen several black bears in the wild before. Never this large or this swift. All told, encounter lasted 45 seconds; felt much longer under such tense circumstances. After moments of contemplation I smiled and reckoned I was happy it wasn’t a sow with cubs, a more unpredictable situation. 

• Thanks 1