new tent/tarp setup!

tmountainnut

tmountainnut

A few weeks back I spotted a brand new gatewood cape and the newer style net tent from six moons designs on backpackinglight. I have wanted one of these since I first saw them a few years back, and it seems like a really good design to lighten my pack since it replaces a tent, rain gear, and a pack cover/pack liner. Anyways, I impulsively bought it, figuring I’d never really find them on sale anywhere and it was already seam sealed. i also picked up a sheet of tyvec to make into a groundsheet and protect the floor of the net tent.

Yesterday I got a chance to set it up, and so far I’m very happy with it. I’m 6'1", and from what I’ve read it seems like it might be a little tight for me, but then again its replacing my black diamond bivy I just sold so i could afford it, so it has to be roomier than that. According to the site its inner net tent dimensions are just slightly longer and taller than my black diamond firstlight tent, which I find is snug but just long enough for me to fit. Sure enough, I can lie down in the middle of the tent, and although there isn't much extra room, there isn't any net touching me. I think the newer design of the net tent with the raised side walls help keep the net off my face and feet really well. With the whole tent zipped up, it has plenty of coverage to keep me and my backpack dry.

The other reason I really like this tent is the fact I can set up just the net on nice nights. For camping in the desert, this is a must for me so i can watch the stars and listen to the night sounds.

As for using it as raingear, I think it will work and will keep my backpack dry, however I’m worried about how loose it is. There are some snaps in the back to keep the tails from dragging, but I think it will need a belt of some sort to keep it together if it’s windy. I’ll be pairing it up with a hooded wind jacket and some wind pants, so they should be able to handle the spray and light rainstorms, and will be much more comfortable than the poncho in windstorms.

Some pictures from the initial setup in my backyard.

IMG_20120401_100752.jpg

IMG_20120401_100716.jpg

IMG_20120401_100702.jpg

After weighing it out and accounting for being able to leave my raingear and pack cover at home, it’s actually the same weight as if I had just brought my bivy sack. However, this is so much more versatile and comfortable than my bivy sack, and is actually waterproof, so I think it was a good decision.

Edited by tmountainnut

Very nice. I have often contemplated going the Poncho/shelter route, but still not sure it is something I would like. I have also contemplated the ponch/ground sheet that ZPacks sells. I know that GoLite was selling their 7 oz poncho/shelter for hardly anything for a while when they kept having the 40% off sales, but I think it is about $70 now that they have made their gear "direct".

My fear is that if I am wearing it as a poncho and I tear it say on a passing branch or rocks, then I have just potentially damaged not only my rain gear, but also my shelter. This in itself has been enough to keep me at bay. I am all for multiuse items, but these are two rather large, important items, and for both of them to become destroyed at once could be detrimental to the trip or at worse for myself.

I have also been curious to actually watch someone go from wearing the poncho to actually deploying the tent once they reached camp and it is raining. I hear that it can be done from underneath, but that it requires some defying balancing acts. :) I have also read that some carry those cheap thin plastic rain ponchos for this very reason, but of course that is added weight.

Anyway, looking forward to see how it does for you in the long run. I am sure that it is probably a palace compared to that bivy! And who knows, maybe one day I will give these a try...

tmountainnut

i don't think deploying it while underneath is really possible, however you can drop your pack underneath it, set up the trekking pole, and then get out from underneath to stake it out. the net tent can be set up while underneath too. having the windpants and windshirt should give me enough protection to stake it out without getting soaked.

where im going to be hiking in the rocky mountains and the colorado plateau, it usually doesn't rain constantly, just every afternoon or so a quick, but sometimes intense storm will roll though, and i will be bringing some more substantial rain pants and a rain jacket if im planning on doing some significant off trail hiking where im worried about the poncho or my windpants catching and ripping. i will also be bringing a sil nylon repair kit when i take it on trips that will take care of smaller tears.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

While it might be a handful when it's windy, does the cut seem to offer enough airflow to keep things comfortable when on the move considering that the silnylon isn't breathable like normal rain gear? Definitely an interesting setup, thanks for sharing!

tmountainnut

well, if its not cold and rainy, i probably won't be wearing it, i'll just be wearing my windshell, or if the forecast is looking like rain i'll bring real rain gear. for most trips i'll have it sit in the top of my pack to bring it out in case of a quick rain storm.

the poncho is very roomy, and i can vent it via the front zipper if its not really rainy. for the few minutes i wore it while walking around in the sun i got very sweaty and uncomfortable. its also not that stylish either, so you wont catch me wearing it around town.