Sock recommendations

John S

Now I'm wondering about socks and looking for solid recommendations.  I'm currently wearing Vasque Breeze 2.0 boots and using mid-quality white crew socks and my toes are beginning to get sore with one of them blistering after about 6 to 7 miles on up and down terrain.  The boots fit well, so I'm assuming the socks are too thin and simply not providing enough protection.  

Can you point me to some good buys (much more concerned with quality - price is a distant second) on both summer and winter socks?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

John, I have used Smartwool socks for 25 years or so, and swear by them (usually the light hikers, but they come in different weights and if you have hot spots/blisters with the current socks you use, might consider heavier ones.  I would suggest trying the lighter ones first, tho as cotton socks just don't cut it for extended trail miles.

Thanks, John.  I actually had those pulled up on Amazon! As a follow-up question, do these work as well in summer and winter?  Or do you use a completely different sock for both?  As a general rule I've found wool to be comfortable in hot or cold weather and wondered if this was true with wool socks.

I use the same sock in both summer and winter--use different (insulated) boots in winter.  The smartwool sock I use is a wool/poly blend which is (I think) key

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a pair of large Smartwool socks.  Looking forward to trying them next week.

John

John,

They've worked very well!  Did about 5 miles and can tell the difference. I ordered the medium weight and have ordered a second pair in light weight.  Looking forward to getting those in as well!

Thanks again,

John

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds like you may already have this one worked out, but for me Darn Tough socks work great - no blisters and a lifetime guarantee although I've worn out my share. However, I will say I have had some Smartwool socks that have also worked well and have been virtually indestructible!

yes, Aaron I have some smartwool socks I have had for 10+ years (although I will say that I own 6 pair and rotate them)

• Like 1