Aaron Zagrodnick

Miles per Day - What's Ideal?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Miles per Day - What's Ideal?

• 1-10
    • 10-20
    • 20-30
    • 30+
    • My Couch to the Mailbox is Far Enough!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

What's your ideal distance to shoot for each day while backpacking or hiking? What's your record?

The farthest I've hit in a day was 29 miles, but it began to feel more like work towards the end. For me, I find that the 10-20 MPD range is a good target to shoot for, as I find that it allows time to stop for lunch or take a quick side trip along the way. You also cover a fair amount of country, but are taking it slow enough where you can soak up some scenery. What about you?

tmountainnut

on my solo trips, i shoot for 25 miles per day. i normally hike from just before sunrise to just before sunset. during the summer, thats ~14 hours, so at 2mph average with an hour or so for breaks for lunch and whatnot, it works pretty well. i actually pace myself faster than 2mph unless there's significant elevation gain, but 2mph is a good average if im doing any trail finding or navigation.

jeepingetowah

In reference to Thru-hiking... 20-30. If I am not thru-hiking... I will probably be sleeping in my tent or sitting in there/front porch of tent, and enjoying the scenery. I definitely like the disconnect of enjoyment versus pushing hard for miles.

Wallace - Supa Chef

Hike, Bike, Dale!

I picked 10 - 20...I am not a thru hiker (yet) and don't get the opportunity to hit the good trails very often. If I am solo though, (or more likely with a buddy) I would really like to hit between 15 - 20 mpd during the colder months when the day is somewhat short. In the summer months though, I wouldn't mind getting between 20 - 25 mpd...

However, this varies too...if my wife, or especially my son, is with me then it is lower than that, typically 10 or less.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest was 2 back-to-back 13 + miles days on the AT in GA. I was tired and decided that 10 was enough until in better shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually it more towards the 10 mile side in younger days my longest was 21 with a lot of elevation changes. Now I'm more into checking out the view than seeing what's over the next hillside.

Next month I will be doing my biggest day's yet... 3 of them in fact...back to back...

A buddy and I will be hiking the 72 miles of the AT through the Smokies in 3 days. Our first day will be 23, day 2 is 28.4 and day 3 will be either 20 or 22 ish...depending on if we go to I-40 or just to Davenport...

I am really looking forward to this hike...being that so far 20.2 miles is my biggest day so far, I have not pushed myself like this yet, and especially 3 days back to back! I have also heard that the Smokies is a tough section, so this should make it even better! :)

Also though, this will be my first SUL trip...my BPW will be 4.7 lbs...so I am hoping that I will be able to glide over the mountains... :)