Tripods and Trekking

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

For professional photographers and serious photography enthusiasts, tripods are a necessary accessory for outdoor photography with large heavy cameras. However a majority of outdoor enthusiasts bring small point and shoot cameras and cell phones into the backcountry to record the memories of the experience. For those users, a tripod may seem like an afterthought. However by using a simple tripod, and some ingenuity, amateurs can greatly increase their camera’s abilities with a minimal weight and cost penalty.

Improve your photos without weighing down your backpack – Ted Ehrlich with a breakdown of many lightweight tripod options currently available. Read the full article in Issue 9:

Tripods and Trekking

Issue 9 Page 1

Tripods and Trekking - Backpacking with a Camera

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a full-sized tripod. Lighter options are either too restrictive in terms of what I want a tripod to do, or they're so light that the slightest breeze knocks them about and makes them about the same as a hand-held shot in terms of shakiness.

I do carry a StickPic as well -- it's a nifty little tool that weighs next to nothing.