Issue 9 Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Issue 9 of TrailGroove Magazine is now available! Click the preceding link or the cover below to take a look:

In This Issue:

Backcountry Fishing – Tenkara

The Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Jargon: LNT

Tip: PCT Bear Bagging

Backpacking Coyote Gulch, Utah

Tripods and Trekking

Day Hiking Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Gear Mash

Photo Tips from the Trail: Simplify

The Dangerous Beauty of Maderas

Backcountry Cuisine: The Basics

The Drive Home: Seeing Stars

Over 100 free pages dedicated to backpacking and hiking. Special thanks to all of our readers and contributors for your support and contributions towards the latest issue! If it's your first time viewing the magazine, we suggest starting on Page 1 for viewing tips and tricks. Prefer a different format or want to view the magazine offline? A PDF is also available. (20 MB) Your input is highly appreciated. Let us know what you thought about Issue 9 here on the TrailGroove Forum, or shoot us an email anytime. Thanks for reading and keep an eye out for Issue 10, due out in September.

post-3-14350871488_thumb.jpg

Aaron,

Very nice work on Issue 9. I am always impressed with all the great photos. I especially like the write up on Coyote Gulch and the Wichita Mountains. I'd love to get a chance to hike both.

Always love "The Drive Home"......my youngest son had a somewhat similar experience, except he was hit across the neck and I about paniced thinking he crushed his windpipe. Talk about seeing stars! Luckily, he was not hurt too badly, we just had to cut the day short. Why is it that the youngest kid always is the one getting hurt, lost, or stuck in a less than safe situation?

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

jeepingetowah

Aaron,

Terrific job on this issue. Just like Gary, I really enjoyed "The Drive Home". To me it is the best part of the magazine. I feel your writing always has me on the edge of my seat and with the OMG what happens next state of mind.

I liked the other articles, but they fell on different levels. I have a pretty close relationship with the Smokies myself, as you know. Thus the article seemed a little bit touristy rather than thru hiker experience. But not all the readers are thru hikers. So I totally understand that you have to encompass all readers and their approaches to nature. Great job! However, I will comment that I had lunch at that round concrete structure the day I reached Clingman's Dome. Which is the picture you have in the article. Very nice to remember those moments. I met a guy named "NoCello" or No Cello, because he played the Cello and could not carry it with him on the trail, obviously.

The PCT hang BTW, is something people NEED to know. I only use the PCT no matter where I go, or how high or low I hang my food. It is clearly the best method IMHO. I thank you for getting that put in there, it will be beneficial to readers that just tie off to ther trees or objects to know. Awesome!

Great job again, and I am going to see about how I can get an adventure in the works to possible submit something for contribution!

Edited by jeepingetowah

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks guys and appreciate the input. We again had some great contributions come in for the latest issue - Glad you had a chance to check it out! :D