New 2 Hiking - 4 Boots?

jhudson

Hey there! 

I’m new to hiking and living in Vancouver so my Wife and I have been hiking the north shore mountains and plan to explore more. 

I’m looking at these boots and would like some thoughts and advise:

-Salomon quest 4D 3 

-Salomon X Ultra Mid 3

-Merrill chameleon 8 leather mid

-Oboz Sawtooth mid B-dry 

As a general rule, a brand that may work for me won't necessarily work for you.  This is due to every manufacturer cutting the shape of their boots slightly differently--called the "last" of the boot.  I would recommend finding a brand and model that fits you well and stick with it.  Boots are not something I would recommend ordering on line--find a good outdoor store and try them on, walk around for 20-30 minutes.  A good store will let you do this (in-store).  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
a_gunslinger

I like both the Salomon quest 4D 3  and the Salomon X Ultra Mid 3.  Wasnt a fan of the Oboz. 

Dont forget to order a half size larger!

Im always torn because I have also hiked long distance in Salomon Speedcross cross trainers and loved it.  When we came to water crossings, others I was with had to stop, take off goretex boots, get across, put them back on.  As a gortex boot full of water isnt much good, and dries slowly.  My Speedcrosses dry pretty quick.  If you are doing a lot of rock traversing and extra ankle support required, a boot is needed.  But not always.

And agree with JohnB.  Trying them on is helpful.  Although Amazon Wardrobe makes it easy to order 4-5 pairs of boots, they show up at your door in 2 days, try them all out, send them back for free if not happy!

• 1 month later...

It is all about fit.  Which ones fit the best?  Try them on or you have no basis for comparison.  Your feet are going to swell some with hiking and elevation especially.  I like to wear thin undersocks and pretty thick wool socks over those.  That means hiking boots might need a large size than regular street shoes.