Outer loops, fasteners, etc on REI pack

love2hike4fun

:rolleyes: Hello,

I am frantically packing for a short 2 day trip in high sierra camps of Yosemite.

I have a new daypack from REI.

On the outside on some weird little elastic loops with a plastic appartus

that looks somewhat like a can opener type thing....but I can not figure it out.

It seems like it is there to help me Hook / Fasten things to the pack,

but I do not get how it works.

Can anyone help ?

thanks,

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looks like a quick attachment point for stowing the handle end of either trekking poles or an ice axe when combined with the other loops that I'm thinking should be towards the lower outside portion of the pack.

If you look closely at this video at about the 1:07 mark, you can see this type of attachment used to secure a trekking pole. I would assume they are designed to serve a similar purpose on your pack.

If you look closely at this video at about the 1:07 mark, you can see this type of attachment used to secure a trekking pole. I would assume they are designed to serve a similar purpose on your pack.

mystery is solved.

since I use my trekking poles most of the time, guess the fasteners will be there

and look kool until one day I need them!

yosemite here I come

My REI Flash overnight pack has the same things. The loops are stretchy and I put my rolled up foam pad thru the loops. You could also use the loops to stick a jacket into..or some such.