Issue 49 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription or read online in standard definition here.

Getting old sucks

balzaccom

I spent this last weekend working on projects around our cabin in the Sierra...

Since we only go up for a few days at a time in the winter, we don't need that much wood...but we still haven't burned up all the wood we created by cutting down a few dead trees and rebuilding parts of the deck. And over the years it had grown into a mass of a mess. So I pulled out everything from the woodshed and put it back into place. What fun.

And once I did that, I also took a few hours to dig some larger beds in front of the cabin where we can plant some groundcover---all part of making the place look a little more like part of the living forest, and a little less like a desert compound.

So imagine my delight when i started doing a few stretches this morning and felt a pop in the back of my leg as I pulled a hamstring muscle. I haven't done in nearly fifty years---and that was back when I was playing very competitive soccer.

So now i get to loll around and do very little. Just what the doctor didn't order for someone my age. As a dear old friend of mine liked to say: "Getting old sucks. But it beats the alternative." Sigh.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sorry about the hamstring...hope it heals up quick.

However, the thing that stands out the most to me is “cabin in the Sierra” - can’t be all that bad! :)

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Sorry about the hamstring...hope it heals up quick.

However, the thing that stands out the most to me is “cabin in the Sierra” - can’t be all that bad! :)

True enough...and now that a lot of the work is done, it's a little easier to just sit around and enjoy it! 

• 3 months later...