NJ State Park Book

sarahtied

Hello All!

I'm in the beginning stages of researching and writing a book on NJ State Parks.

I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions on what you'd like to read in guidebooks...what would you like to see that isn't normally covered?

Thank you!

--Sarah:D

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Sarah,

I think it definitely varies by intended audience, however for me personally, my favorite guidebooks are those that leave some views and highlights of a trail / area open to my own discovery once I get there. I have a couple trips planned where I've already (For better or worse) seen all the pictures and though I've never been there, I kinda know exactly what's going to be around every bend.

Of course, pictures and detailed descriptions aren't the same as the experience itself, but it's not quite the same as being surprised...Looking at my bookshelf the guidebooks that I like the most actually have no pictures, or very few black and white shots, and the descriptions are enough to get me there and know what to expect as far as general terrain, challenges, weather, and regulations are concerned, but they leave out enough for me to find on my own.

What I do appreciate are tips to hopefully keep me out of trouble and / or type 2-3 fun situations, (Example: "Descend to the left of the creek to avoid an epic 6 hour, exposed descent down a boulder field") and I definitely appreciate any tip on a can't miss eatery in town to refuel after a trip. Good luck on the book and let us know when it's published!

Thanks for the thoughtful response and great suggestion! I never really thought about that... but now I see exactly what you mean. While knowing what to expect to a certain extent is great, it does take the magic away a bit.

I've certainly got my work cut out for me. There are 50 state parks jammed into our tiny state. I'm looking forward to it...it will be nice to explore the state and show others the way! :)

• 2 months later...

There already are NJ SP Guidebooks that explain what each of the NJ SPs have to offer. I hear ya though. So many visitors to the state have little to no idea how different different areas of NJ are. Most visitors only know the Northeastern corner of NJ around the Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, Newark AP, Holland/Lincoln Tunnels etc. In 2006 while thru-hiking the AT several other AT thru-hikers thought once we got to NJ we would be hiking through people's backyards, under smoke stacks, along polluted rivers, and along busy interstates. ALL, who initially had this misconception, later told me how pleased it was to hike the AT through NJ not expecting how rewarding the experience would be.

• 4 weeks later...
brian_rudolph

The biggest thing I think of with state parks is mountain bikers. Here in MD, biking is allowed in state parks - don't know how common that is. I seek out trails or sections of parks where bikers don't typically go, or if they are occasionally there they don't use as a high speed circuit.

State parks are a staple for our hiking needs here in the Midwest. There just isn't anyway to get around it.

So then............... yes, mountain and trail bikers are a given. Most of these folks show considerable restraint and a good deal of trail manners. I always want to remind hikers that (at least here in this area) bikers do a significant amount of trail development and maintenance. We would not have many of our local trails without these folks. I would guess bikers have hikers greatly outnumbered here, at least 5 to 1, probably much more.

I think with just a little effort we can get along with the bikers and share some of the more popular trails. However, it is critical for future hikers and backpackers that some areas are kept aside and used for primitive use.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas