hello from mo.

trailbosse56

trailbosse56

i have been lazy since my divorce 6 yrs. ago used to be very active and was always outdoors when i was in grade school my best friend and i would go hiking in the woods we called it exploring. i am 55 outta shape i was trying to think of something to get me active again i have 7 stents in my heart. and i had seen a program on t v about the appalacian trail where folks were feeding hikers and such. i thought that would half to be a beautiful sight and so im wondering if i can actually get in good enough shape to do this i know i have a lot to learn. the health thing has me worried a bit. i was curious if ya all think i could be in good enough shape by summer 2013

Welcome trailbosse56!

I too fell in love with the AT like you...I wonder how many people have similar stories of hearing about the AT and then being drawn into this sport...

As far as being in good enough shape, only you (and possibly your Dr.) can make that decision. I am not sure though if you are asking about helping out other hikers, or being a hiker yourself.

If you want to be a hiker, my suggestion is to take it slow. Just go out for a day here and there and see how it does for you and take it from there. Also, I would suggest picking up Andrew Skurka's book The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide. This book is a great book, especially for those new to the sport. It is filled with some very valuable information that will help you out in more ways than one from the get-go. Then, if you have any more questions, be sure to come and post them here on the boards!

Good luck on your new adventure!

~Stick~

• Premium Member

Hello and welcome, trailbosse56!

It's awesome that you're inspired to get outside again and maybe help some hikers on the Appalachian Trail too. Stick gave some great advice about getting your Dr's OK first and starting out slowly. Even just going for short walks can be a good start to get your body used to moving regularly.

I wish you all the best and hope that you can work your way back to "exploring" in the woods. :) Please keep us posted!

Jen