Hiking today, disappointed with trail sign

Gary M

Took off from work today for a much needed day hike at Hillsdale Lake. I was disappointed to find:

Why oh why vandalize a trail sign in the middle of the woods? Disappointed to find this on a Kansas trail when I was there to see:

or perhaps:

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

post-135-143508716787_thumb.jpg

post-135-143508716801_thumb.jpg

post-135-143508716814_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've seen a few of those myself, but looks like the hike ended with some great scenery.

At the risk of preaching to the choir.................

What really bothers me about this (beyond the senseless trail vandalism), is that a gun was used. Perhaps just a pellet gun, but never the less, a gun.

There is no hunting allowed in this area of Hillsdale Lake. So what was someone doing with a gun in an area set aside for hiking, equestrian, and fishing? Hunting is allowed with a permit in the appropriate season in another lake area, but not around hikers and horses.

I just don't like the idea of some idiot shooting any kind of gun in a heavily wooded area. This bothers me, we just don't have all that many local areas for hiking and backpacking. I'll share the trail with about anyone, but I have a problem with illegal hunters and or some fool shooting target practice.

And by the way, hiking trail signs are not acceptable targets.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Hunters....hmmm. i was hiking a couple weeks ago in the Desolation Wilderness (which is far from desolate) and this guy in military camo was staggering out under the weight of a fully loaded pack. Fully loaded with 150 pounds of deer meat. The still bloody antlers were tied to the top of the pack. He said he shot the deer near Gilmore Lake, which is on one of the major routes up to Mt Tallac. Scary to think of people with high powered rifles shooting where hikers are.

I will admit through my years in the outdoors, I've had a fear (perhaps "concern" is more accurate) of people with guns on the trail.

This does not mean I am anti-gun, and I have no problems with the vast majority of responsible hunters. I will share the trails with joggers, runners, trail bikers, church groups, and basically any responsible person who shows respect for the outdoors. I do not expect any special privilege just because I am wearing a pair of hiking boots.

But when someone has a gun in an unauthorized hunting area, where hikers and backpackers are not wearing hunter orange; then yes, I am very concerned. A bullet can travel a considerable distance and still be deadly.

I don't mean to always reference politics, but my adopted state of Kansas loves guns. The Midwest as a whole loves guns, heck the whole country loves guns. I get it.

But please,not on the trails. I reported the sign vandalism to the local authorities, and I can only hope the guilty party (probably some local kids) are caught before some innocent person is injured.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

One big reason I try to stay in the national parks.

The most dangerous animal in the wilderness isn't an animal. I'll take a grizzly over a hunter any day.

post-695-143508716963_thumb.jpg

Peter,

It's sad to say, but it's absolutely true; irresponsible people are much more dangerous than any wildlife concerns I've ever had. I agree with your thoughts on this. Unfortunately, there aren't an abundance of National Parks in my area, so I rely on State Parks, which I don't feel are as well regulated. The past 8 years or so of a weak economy have resulted in considerable state cutbacks.

Like you (and a multitude of other TrailGroove readers) , I go to the woods to get away from everyday issues and stress. I don't want to get to the trail and find more concerns waiting for me.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Rick-Pittsburgh

I am going to go with a shotgun.

At the risk of preaching to the choir.................

What really bothers me about this (beyond the senseless trail vandalism), is that a gun was used. Perhaps just a pellet gun, but never the less, a gun.

Olathe, Kansas