Snowshoeing Trip to Chester Lake

PaulGS

This past winter, I tried snowshoeing for the first time since I was a kid. On this day trip I chose an easy hike and went to Chester Lake.

Chester Lake is a small lake in the Rocky Mountains and located in Peter Lougheed Park, part of the group of 'Kananaskis Country' provincial parks and wildlife areas. It is approximately 50 kms/30 miles south of the much better known Banff National Park.

After renting a pair of snowshoes from Mountain Equipment Co-op (the Canadian equivalent of REI), I drove the 150 kms/90 miles out to the trailhead, where only two other cars were parked. The trail to the lake is 5 kms/3 miles with a modest elevation gain of 300 meters/1000 feet.

Anyways, here is a short video I had made for my families and friends of some of the scenery. The snowshoeing was fun, the weather was great and I hope to get back out to this same location in the next few weeks.

post-611-143508717023_thumb.jpg

post-611-143508717037_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulGS

Snowshoeing is 'half as fast, half as far'. Chester Lake is a nice trail (been there in summer) but completely different in winter. A good choice.

And the season is upon us! Just a few inches of snow here now, but more on the way.