MLD, ZPacks and Gossamer Gear in new Backpacker mag...

Stick

Just curious if anyone noticed that the recent issue of Backpacker included short articles on the MLD Exodus FS, ZPacks Exo and the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (old version) on page 41.

According to the article, they gave the Exodus a 4.3 for comfort 4.3 for organization, 3.9 for stability and 3.9 for durability. Out of a possible 5, they rated the Exodus a 4 and was classified as "light & large.".

The ZPacks Exo got a 3.7 for comfort, 4.1 for organization, 3.9 for stability and a 3.4 for durability. Out of a possible 5, they rated the Exo a 3.9 and was classified as "lightest."

The Gorilla got a 4 in comfort, 4.1 for organization, 3.9 for stability and a 3.8 for durability. Out of a possible 5, they rated the Gorilla a 3.9 and was classified as "most versatile".

The other two packs in the article was the GoLite Jam 50 (overall score of 4.3 and classified as the "best all around") and the Osprey Exos 46 (overall score of 4.1 and classified as "most stable.")

Just curious if anyone else noticed this... I don't know if Backpacker has ever included ZPacks in their magazine...

Edited by Stick

• 2 weeks later...
Brad.Clarkston

Yep I noticed that. Backpacker is using outside backpackers for field testing now, you should look into signing up :)

• 1 month later...

For the last couple years backpacker's gear guides have not interested me much. I think I have/trying to move into the "going lighter phase" and the gear is not what I am looking for. I am glad to see ZPacks, MLD, and the cottage companies get some decent coverage.