Trail Tip 12

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

After you have figured out your layering system to keep you warm, picking out your equipment is the next step to successful winter camping.

Ted Ehrlich follows up on part 1 (Read that installment Here in Issue 11) with more tips focusing on winter camping techniques. Read the full article below in Issue 12:

Secrets to Staying Warm While Winter Camping – Part 2

Issue 12 Page 1

How to Stay Warm While Backpacking, Hiking, and Camping in Winter Conditions

• 3 weeks later...

I really thought this two part article had the usual good TrailGroove info in it. One thing that Ted said in the first part of this article stuck with me though. He said, "I never use disposable heat packs because they are unreliable." I cut down and virtually eliminate that unreliability by buying FRESH not outdated this yrs heat packs(Grabber, Heatmax Hot Hands, etc), making sure the ones I buy are totally unopened and airtight(they are after all air activated), and store them in my pack in a Ziploc until ready to use(don't let them get wet either when stored). These are the type of chemical heat packs that are used one time and have as their ingredients iron powder, water, salt, activated charcoal, and wood fiber. When exposed to air, these materials react together to produce heat through an extremely fast oxidation (or rusting) process. They burn up in a campfire as well. I say this because more than a couple companies that I know sell them carry over product from previous yrs and are sold outdated or old which IMO affect heat output or performance.