iPod Playlist

CraigKap

I know a lot of people say that when you're in nature you should listen to the surroundings which I do most of the time, but sometimes I like to hook my ipod up and play some peaceful or travel inspired tunes. I have at least a dozen or so tunes that I like to hear on the trails, but wanted some other suggestions. I'm talking about easily listening and unknown artists out there, not "Happy Trails" or songs that have to do with hiking. Some of my tunes are listed below.

Year Around the Sun

The Weight

Midnight Rider

Lucky Man

Going Up The Country

& of course the "Into The Wild Soundtrack"

CraigKap........

Great thoughts! Who hasn't indulged in a bit of some great music while out on the trail?

Sometimes, things get a bit boring or repetitive, and a bit of Italian (or perhaps German) opera helps get me going. No special playlist for me, but I'll bet others have got their i-tunes list down to a science. Just be careful and mindful of what is going on so as not to get lost in the music.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Patiently waiting for spring.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I can't recall ever actually listening to music on the trail, although I do very occasionally pull out the headphones while biking or running. If I did try it on a hike though, I'd probably just fire up whatever happened to randomly be in my "Recently Added" playlist. :D

brian_rudolph

I usually don't listen to music while hiking, but chilling out at camp is another story. I usually listen to some classical music while reading a book with a view.

CraigKap,

I've been laid up and unable to get out this winter, so I really enjoyed your photos! Keep up the great work and have fun. I hope to be back on the trail by early spring, and I can hardly wait.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Edited by Gary M
I am a terrble speller

Funny how memory works,,,,,,,,

Just now sitting here, I suddenly vividly recall a similar frozen falls scene from my early hiking days. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing I had ever seen! Thanks, I had completely forgotten that fun day from so long ago. It may have been my first real winter hike in the woods.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

I don't usually listen to music while hiking, but I sure do when I'm training for a trek. I like Nicklecreek, The Tobasco Donkeys, Wailing Jennys - anything that makes me think of that trail I'm training for.

Very good!

I have wondered about if or how others train for a trip or "trek".

Years ago I liked to go to a gym, but settled on just taking a bunch of local short hikes. I just call this a "maintenance hike" (versus trail maintenance); as in making sure I am physically up to the planned trip. To me, even a couple of hours at a local state lake is a whole lot more fun than any gym or home training program. Curious as to how others handle training.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Written with about a foot of snow on the driveway.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Unless I have an especially challenging trip planned, I don't really do what I'd consider proper training for backpacking at all. But I do at the very least, try to run or bike everyday, walk the dog a couple miles, etc...Which helps once you get to the trail. However, I think I've come to the conclusion that while these types of efforts help, nothing beats getting in hiking shape like hiking.