Sleeping bags

akszewczyk

Hey guys -

New to the site but not new to hiking - just been out of the game for a few years and I know that technology has changed a bit. Looking for some decent 3-season sleeping bags (primarily for backpacking) and would love some guidance/opinions on any that have served you well or not worked at all.

Namaste

Ang

I have a Go Lite Women's Adventure 20 degree down bag. Pros: Warm, fairly light. Cons: Mummy bags are really tight! I'm considering trading in my bag for a quilt.

I have a 20 degree bag that is nothing special, but I have an awesome sleeping bag liner that I absolutely swear by: Sea to Summit's Reactor Thermolite Liner. It really does add 15deg of warmth. The best part about having a liner is that you can just wash the liner after a trip, extending the life of your sleeping bag. I'm also a fan of just using the liner on really hot nights. Having a thermal liner gives you more flexibility regardless of what bag you end up getting. (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24).

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey guys -

New to the site but not new to hiking - just been out of the game for a few years and I know that technology has changed a bit. Looking for some decent 3-season sleeping bags (primarily for backpacking) and would love some guidance/opinions on any that have served you well or not worked at all.

Namaste

Ang

Western Mountaineering's offerings have served me well but there's a ton of great options out there. Where are you planning on using the bag?

Predominantly Michigan for now seeing as that's where I'm at...but I'd like to use it out of state as well as we continue on expanding our travel resume.We have a few friends who live in Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and California so I am sure we will be out there backpacking at some point in the future. Need a bag thats versatile and well made.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I'd go with a 20 degree bag as a 3 season general purpose solution, if I had to pick one, at least for how I sleep and where I go backpacking. I know I've been cold in a 30 during a fall Michigan trip before! You can use the 20 lower with extra insulation if you need to, and if it's too warm for a summer trip here and there...It's better to be too warm than too cold in this case. Even then however, a nice 20 degree down bag isn't going to be so heavy that it feels like you're carrying a lot of unnecessary weight. For a while, I've been using a 20 but taking a warmer bag for favorable forecasts which has mostly worked well. However, it's never a good night when the forecast was wrong and you wished you'd brought the warmer bag.

There's a lot of great bags out there, but we've used both the Western Mountaineering Ultralite (Review) & Alpinlite (Wider) 20 degree bags with few complaints. Or if you want to try something a little different, keep an eye out for our upcoming review in Issue 13... :D

Wow thank you so much! That is really helpful. I will say I've got to get a synthetic bag, however, as I'm allergic to down. I'll check out those bags you posted/

• 1 month later...

HHF3 has a great point about using a liner. I have the omni-heat liner from Columbia and it works great. Here's a review of it http://www.essentialcampgear.com/columbia-omni-heat-sleeping-bag-liner/. It's compatible with sleeping bags other than Columbia as well. It's usually about $100 but if you watch online at Amazon you can get it for around $85. I previously had a cheaper one from Slumberjack and still have it, but I use it as a backup since I sprung for the new one from Columbia.