Hydration

Postie109

Postie109

Looking for suggestions on good hydration bags. I'm in Canada so Looking for something not too pricey. Mid price range. Any suggestions.

Tks

Pat

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Pat,

I'm a fan of the Platypus Hoser series (I use the 3L) for a hydration reservoir. I'm not sure if you're looking for a pack with hydration integrated in, but I just use whatever daypack or backpacking pack I might be inclined to utilize and throw the Hoser system in.

balzaccom

We use bottles, not bladders.  But in years past we've used Gatorade and recycled soda bottles.  Good for weight, good for recycling...not so great for the consumer economy.  But what the heck. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
Michael aka Mac

I use a military canteen and i also use a bladder.  I find that at times it is easier to fill the canteen then bladder and i can use the canteen to fill the bladder. My canteen i can also boil water in and the canteen cup can also be used to cook food in so serves an additional purpose so i don't mind it

When i am using my pump water filtration system filling either is not an issue so depends where you are getting your water from.

Aluminum canteens are lighter then the stainless steel ones but can dent easier. And definitely get one with a cup and a lid for cup.

Amazon.com has a leak proof 2L bladder for ~$13 US currency

• 5 months later...
Michael aka Mac

Bottles  are doable especially since you can jury rig a paracord to produce a make shift harness. Again, one of my favorite things is the GI style canteen, Aluminum ones are the best, lightweight, and you can boil water right in the canteen.  I have seen people also use a water bottle to boil water, but truthfully, you are also putting carcinogens into your water by that method.  

CamelBak has some hydration packs that I love ( hydration bladder built into a daypack)  just remember the old saying, men need approximately 3.7 liters of water a day under normal temperatures and conditions where as women need about 2.7 liters a day. Hotter and colder days even more then that, so choose a bladder size that fits your trip's needs.   Also I suggest to put your bladder into a plastic bag  just incase there is a defect and it leaks.