Maps

Andrewleif

How do you navigate?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. How do you navigate?

• GPS
    • Map & Compass
    • What does navigate mean?

I love playing with my phone as much as any 30-something, but there's something relaxing, almost spiritual, about using a real live map & compass. I've found a good online source for high quality, inexpensive 24k USGS topo maps (they even laminate & ship them rolled in a tube) but I'm still searching for a good way to carry them. I've thought about using a drafting tube, but I don't know how well they will hold up to backcountry abuse. What I usually do is just use some small bungees to strap it to the daisy chain on my pack. With it rolled up tight, it's stiff enough to stay put without bending.

Does anyone else carry real maps?

Note: They are too big for map cases, folding is out of the question (haven't you seen the movie Twister?), and the tube they are shipped in is just cardboard. It will fall apart in the rain.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Hey Andrew,

I really like maps as well. However, I usually go for the waterproof variety that already come folded and for the most part, I've come to terms with them eventually falling apart after enough use.

For your situation though, perhaps a length of Tenite Butyrate Tubing might work? You can cut it to whatever length you need, it's pretty light, offers great crush protection, (Depending on wall thickness) and water resistance with the optional caps if you need it. I use it to carry my fly rod, works great!

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22858&catid=841

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23029&catid=841

post-3-143508718344_thumb.jpg

Don't purchase them laminated and they will be easy to fold or ....read on.

You never said on what size paper the 24K maps are printed on. I print those scale maps on 8.5"x11" or 11"x17" and fold the 11"x17" pages in half. I find it cheaper that way than buying already printed laminated maps. I'm usually printing out many topos at a time for a hike so it gets prohibitively expensive for my trail budgets to buy say 200 7.5 min laminated topos for the CDT! Eek! If I'm carrying maps I'm using them, even if I'm on beaten well blazed/signed trail. They are not typically stuck in such a place where they rarely get used. I securely keep about 4 double sided 8.5" x 11" pages at a time flat but loosely rolled up in a bungeed stretchy side mesh backpack pocket stored in a clear plastic binder sleeve that has a fold down top edge and sealed bottom that is dimensioned to hold 8.5" x 11" sized pages. That folded edge keeps the maps from slipping out of the sleeve and also helps protect them from rain/snow/dirt/mud/ etc. The rest of my 7.5 min topos are kept inside my pack often in another clear plastic sleeve. If on a very wet hike I may seal the maps with a WaterProofing agent like Map Seal or just Hairspray or use a WP paper(this is sold at some Hiking/Outdoors stores). The paper and printers I employ provide sharp fine detail and don't bleed even if the printed topos are dropped into water. I've done that. I'm not a tech geek but IMO most of the laser printers I've come across at libraries does the job of printing out topo details just fine at a fraction of the cost that say an architectural/plueprint/office supply store would charge. Plus, I can most often manipulate maps using library software simply by importing the map into Microsoft Word.

When I really need to find my way by map and compass(CDT, SHR, Hayduke, Grand Enchantment Trails, etc, Grand Canyon NP bushwacking, Glacier NP under deep snow, etc) I want the small picture USGS 7.5-minute maps printed at 1:24,000 with 40-foot contours and overview "bigger picture" maps. The overview maps, depending on what I'm using, may be topographical or perhaps not and vary somewhat in scale. The overview maps are mainly intended to get me back onto the 7.5 min topos or for emergency or lower elev bail out routes usually onto roads or to major features. These larger scale "bigger picture" maps aren't used as often IF I'm staying on my 7.5 min topos. Sometimes, in conjunction with the detailed 7.5 min tops I may be using BLM, Wilderness, National Forest, Trails Illustrated Nat Geo maps etc.

I like printing out my 7.5 topos myself double sided but alternating maps on front and back sides of the paper. In other words, map 31 is printed on the front side of the page and map 29 or 33 is on the other side. This way I can always look at several 7.5 maps back to back to back...I usually get friendly with librarians that will let me use my own paper(sometimes WP paper) to make prints on their expensive color copiers. I get better results when doing this during off hrs when the library isn't busy.

When I'm carrying maps I'm 90% of the time also carrying a baseplate compass with a small magnifying glass, or lately, reading glasses that help magnify topo details. This way I don't need such large printed out maps.

As far as the GPS or map and compass options. I use both. I have gotten away from making as many decisions as I used to on an either/or basis. I find that to be limiting. It keeps me limited to thinking I have only two choices and it has to be one or the other given option. In this case, sometimes, I'll carry both options simultaneously - map and compass and GPS. I'm still needing lots of work on bettering my GPS skills though. And, I can continue to get more proficient at my map and compass skills as well. :D

What you may be able to do, if say your 24K laminated maps are printed in 8.5"x11" size, is place small hole punches in the corners and use a small snap chain(like a key chain cord), mini biner, etc to bind them together and attache to your clothing(belt loop, Napolean Pocket Zip on a jacket, etc) or to a D-ring on your pack's shoulder strap. this way they are handy.

I always bring maps. ALWAYS. you should obviously know how to read them, but a map never needs batteries.

If i am bringing a map that is not waterproof, i will make photocopies of it at home, and store the copies in ziplock bags for use on the trail. the photocopies are standard letter size, which folds up nice, and i can just photocopy sections of the map if its larger than letter size (which it is a lot of the time). As long as i keep the maps in the ziplock, they stay dry and usable, and if you're really concerned about them getting wet, you can keep a backup set in your pack. I also do the photocopy thing with sections of guidebooks, or any other reading material.

I have also been bringing a GPS with me on my trips (Suunto Ambit 2), not as much for navigation, but for tracking. However, i have had to use it in bad conditions to navigate when there was very low visibility, and also have used it when the trail disappeared. The few times i have used it for navigation, it was very useful.

So i would say bring both, and use the GPS as needed, but not as your sole source of navigation.

-Ted

Edited by tmountainnut

tmountainnut...........

Excellent info on maps; I basically follow the same discipline as you, although it sounds like you do a considerably better job of it than I do. I don't hike in nearly as a "technical" area as you (I would believe), so if I happen to take a wrong trail it's no big deal. Love you ideas though!

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

• 3 months later...

I am old school and always use a paper based map, as Ted and co say above, maps don't pack up when the batteries go. Here in the UK we have the spectacularly brilliant Ordnance Survey maps, which put most other maps to shame.

It's only fairly recently that I have entered the GPS world, and love being able to record my route and compare where I went to where I though I went. I also like the idea of being able to look up my exact position in poor viability.

That said, I am firmly of the opinion that if you venture into the wild you MUST know how to use map and compass and that GPS should should be considered a luxury item that you would happily leave at home.

AdventureMyk

Mix of maps here especially as my GPS is more a marine-style that I use for motorcycles, car, and kayaking. It's too big and heavy to even think of using for backpacking (even though it has all the nice topo/contour, etc... <sigh>)

Good maps can be found online for most places and with a decent printer you can set them up nicely. There are also cheap laminate deals at office supplies, however, I don't have the laminaters. Another option might be simply using good clear sleeves like you would put in a binder to keep them waterproof. You can even use a marker on the outside then just wipe it clean when you are done while keeping the map waterproof. If the tops are open, just use clear tape to seal them. :) Cheap, light, effective.

I'll just carry the map of the day in my pocket, folded to view in a Ziploc baggy. I've given up trying to be nice to maps, since I do believe they lie at times.... :P

Always bring a map, compass and GPS to cover all the bases. But where I usually hike I use my map and compass the most. I agree with Bobo though..... maps can be wrong.

AdventureMyk

I have yet to find any maps of the Smoky Mountain trails that remotely agree with each other, especially on where campsites are located. I kind of take 3-4 of them that are consistent and blend them for a 'best guess' along with a very detailed topo layout that shows me where those sites are most likely to actually be sitting. The Topo is also the best reference to where you actually are in there as Sat's/GPS don't always get a decent signal down in the valley. It's nice to know you are only 3/4 mile away and not 2 3/4 when it's getting dark. ;)