TMI from NYC

bigsilk

Hey, folks. New to the forum, but certainly not to backpacking.

I'm a 47-year-old white man, 5'8", 135 lbs, a Gemini, and, like many of you, enjoy long walks. The beach? Meh...

I've been backpacking since my days as a scout to as recently as four weeks ago. I've slept outside in every state from New Hampshire to Texas, and in five countries.

Today I hike the Ramapos, the Catskills, and, when I can, the ADKs. My fiance and I often go together. Living in New York City, we've chosen to rely on public transportation so we're limited to places like Harriman State Park, Bear Mountain, Sterling Forest and some others most of the time. All beautiful and rugged. And the trees are just the right height...

I have gear to take me to the teens with icy trails.

I'm a three-season hiker, avoiding summer's people and bugs, and if DEET worked on people...

I'm no weight-weenie, but I'm working on my pack weight -- I recently posted an 'instructable' on my 1.6 pound backpacking kitchen. I'm not here to advertise, so I'll post a link where and when appropriate.

Aside, I'm an excellent home cook, an aspiring amateur Latin percussionist, and am currently planning for The Devil's Path in the Cats with my lady-friend and a couple of non-lady friends this April -- 24 miles and near 9000' +/-. We're making it a two-night trip. Some do it in a day. I'm not some.

I enjoy strong drink and beer.

I've been a fan of the New York Yankees since I could put food in my own mouth; I grew up, literally, about 1,000' from Yankee Stadium in the South Bronx. Disparage them at your hazard.

Hi!