Altra Lone Peak Hiker Boot Review

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

While I’ve hiked in Lone Peak trail running shoes from Altra for several years, a recent ankle injury had me looking for a little more ankle support without giving up the comfort that I’ve become accustomed to. Altra has offered a mid-height version of the Lone Peak for a while – always referred to as the mid, but with the latest release has termed this version as the Lone Peak Hiker. Although a bit concerned that Altra markets this version as fit for the trail as well as town, I was curious to see how the Hiker would actually perform on real trails and “off road”. The Lone Peak Hiker is a non-waterproof, breathable option (see the Lone Peak All-Weather for waterproofness) which makes this boot a great choice for summer hikes. The boot is light – weighing just 10.85 ounces each for my size 10 women’s version – just half an ounce heavier than my Lone Peak trail runners. The boots are moderately cushioned with a 25mm stack height. The outsole is similar to Lone Peak trail runners in pattern, but features a more durable rubber compound, and wraps around the front to form a small toe cap...

In Issue 51, @Jen reviews the Altra Lone Peak Hiker mid-height hiking boots. Take a look at the full review by following the links below:

Issue 51 Page 1

K. Urs Grutter

I am "ultralight" for seven years now and I found that the layering principles also apply to footwear: I do have a full array of different ankle supporting bandages, from mere sock-like slip-ons to "heavy" 3M bandage with stiff sides for support. So I can "layer" my footwear to the difficulty of the trail and the current state of my ankle(s). I find this to be far lighter and cheaper than looking for a mid-shoe or boot that covers all my needs and still is lightweight. My old (retired) real mountaineering boots weighing 3pounds each would probably give as much support as the "heavy" 3M bandage at around half a pound.

Most of the time, a trailrunner combined with a slightly compressing sock (x-socks) does the trick for me, whereas the more comfortable but non-compressing merino wool socks have me trip and sprain my midfoot.

I certanily will give the Altra's a go as soon as I can travel to the US again - in our damp and often cold situations in the Swiss Alps, they look like a good and lightweight shoulder-season option. In summer, a trailrunner will do, even on an occasional snow-field, but when it gets steep, you have to combine it with a traction device (kathoola micro spikes). In winter, conditions here call for an oversized boot and multiple layers of heavy socks for insulation.

Happy trails

Urs

• Like 1