Newbie checking in

Skink

I grew up with birdwatcher parents and spent a lot of time outdoors - in my adult life I sort of drifted away for a while from spending time amid nature. Now I'm getting into hiking - so far just shorter hikes in the area (I'm in Ohio) but there is a part of me that thinks it would be amazing to build up to doing a long hiking trip at some point. So, I'm here to learn more and see what experienced hikers have to say.

My username is Skink because I love lizards. I'm not really a birdwatcher myself - that is, I don't count species or keep a life list - but I love seeing wildlife, and I love the beauty of wildflowers.

Looking forward to learning more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Michael aka Mac

Hi Skink and Welcome to Trailgrove.com

Well with regard to long, overnight hiking trips,  we can definitely give you some advice.

I will start with the basics:

Clothing- Cotton is a no no... I would if I were you buy Wicking base layers and undergarments,  and never wear hiking boots or shoes that you have not already worn for at least a month+: that is the most common mistake amongst new hikers.

The heavier your pack the slower you will be and faster you will get tired.  Dehydrated foods, of foods that are the highest in calories per pound ( think peanut butter) If you know that you are going to be near water then bring a lightweight water filtration device will save you a lot of weight carrying water 

Walking poles will also allow you to cover more ground as it takes some of the weight off your back and legs. A rule of thumb, when your backpack is fully loaded with gear, food , and water it should weigh no more then 10% of your total body weight (prior to putting on your backpack of course)  mine is closer to 6%

Lot of hikers have kitchen scales at home to weigh their gear , and a luggage hanging scale to weigh their backpacks ( an alternative to this is weighing yourself on a regular scale then weigh yourself again with backpack on and subtract the 2 numbers to find out how heavy your backpack is

There are ultra lightweight options for everything from tent & sleeping bag to stoves and what have you

Michael aka Mac

OH and most important is dress for the weather and always  make a route plan and tell at least 3 people where you are going , where you intend to setup camp, how long the trip will be, and any medications that you take  ( paramedics wont give you any medication to you less they know what meds you are on.

And get yourself a GPS

Thank you so much for this! Like I said, definitely a beginner here but eager to have some adventures! I will make note of ALL of this - thanks.

Michael aka Mac

np if you have specific questions that is even better as then i can focus on those in particular  and for anyone else reading this post plz by all means  ask away any questions that you may have about camping gear etc etc  i am always here to answer questions