What type of tent do you use?

PaulGS

My family has 5 tents. We started out family camping with Cub Scouts and progressed into Boy Scouts and our tenting and camping styles have progressed, too. For backpacking, we have a 2 person Kelty Grand Mesa which was a good choice for my teen-age son because of it's durablilty and price range. It's weight is about 4 lbs. Then we have a 1 person BA Lynx Pass tent which I absolutely love. I got it on clearance from REI - it's roomy for a 1-person tent, light enough for me to carry for a week at a time - I can't say anything bad about it. Okay, it weighs in the same as the Grand Mesa, but I don't care. I'm not a gram weenie - I'd rather have my comforts when I'm out on the trail.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AdventureMyk

• Bobo Uzala

• PaulGS

• Gary M

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My family has 5 tents. We started out family camping with Cub Scouts and progressed into Boy Scouts and our tenting and camping styles have progressed, too. For backpacking, we have a 2 person Kelty Grand Mesa which was a good choice for my teen-age son because of it's durablilty and price range. It's weight is about 4 lbs. Then we have a 1 person BA Lynx Pass tent which I absolutely love. I got it on clearance from REI - it's roomy for a 1-person tent, light enough for me to carry for a week at a time - I can't say anything bad about it. Okay, it weighs in the same as the Grand Mesa, but I don't care. I'm not a gram weenie - I'd rather have my comforts when I'm out on the trail.

HikerJen;

I also started hiking and backpacking with scouts as a kid. It was a great time. And I also went thru scouts again with my two sons here in Kansas. I wonder how many people got turned onto the trail due to scouts? I don't think I would have ever tried camping etc. without boy scouts in my younger days.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Member of the Tribe of Mic-O-Say (Warrior; Swift Magic Wind) and the Order of the Arrow (Brotherhood member)

post-135-143508718782_thumb.png

post-135-143508718802_thumb.jpg

post-135-143508718816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M
spelling

HikerJen;

I also started hiking and backpacking with scouts as a kid. It was a great time. And I also went thru scouts again with my two sons here in Kansas. I wonder how many people got turned onto the trail due to scouts? I don't think I would have ever tried camping etc. without boy scouts in my younger days.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Member of the Tribe of Mic-O-Say (Warrior; Swift Magic Wind) and the Order of the Arrow (Brotherhood member)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2121[/ATTACH]

Gary, I'm OA, too-Ordeal, and the first woman in our Troop to be tapped out. And, my husband is OA-brotherhood, and Tribe of Mic-O-Say, Warrior-1980, Last Booming Red Thunderbird. He's originally from KC, MO. If it wasn't for Scouts, I wouldn't be doing all this camping and backpacking. I will be forever grateful for the opportunities it's provided not only my kids, but for me, too. I'm still going strong with our Venture Crew...

mtnmatthews

I have two tents. A NEMO Espri 2pLE with a pawprint and extra large vestibule that I use for car camping or short hike in campgrounds with my dog. My go to backpacking tent is the Sierra Designs Lightning 2 UL. I bought this a month ago and have used it several times in a variety of weather. Love the easy dry set up and big door with awning. 3 lbs 7 oz and plenty big enough for 2 people.

post-866-143508718804_thumb.jpg

HikerJen,

I was so happy to read you were tapped out for OA and can participate with the guys. After scouting as a kid, I got back involved about 12 years ago with my two sons. At that time our troop in Olathe, Kansas (located just south of Kansas City) was just starting to induct women into OA and MOS. Some of the old-timers weren't the most progressive, so it took some effort to have women be involved. You may have to be a bit more patient than the other adults (i.e. the guys), but it will be worth it!

It was a great experience for me and my family that we will never forget, plus you get the bonus of getting outdoors for camping, hiking, etc. As you might guess, I was the local hiking Merit Badge councilor.

Congratulations, have fun!

Perhaps other TrailGroove readers might consider getting involved with a local Boy Scout group; they are always looking for good people, especially with hiking and backpacking experience.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Mic-O-Say Warrior Swift Magic Wind

post-135-143508718821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M

One last note on the major influence of Mic-O-Say and scouting in the Kansas City area.......

Mic-O-Say was started by H. Roe Bartle in the 1920's first at St.Joseph, Mo. and then at Osceola, Missouri. The Osceola camp is named the H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation, or commonly known locally as "Bartle" to honor the MOS founder. Hundreds of boys get to attend summer camp at Bartle every year at a reasonable cost. I've been there many times with my sons.

By the way, H. Roe Bartle was mayor of Kansas City, Missouri from 1956 to 1963. He was a major factor in getting the Dallas Texans football team to move to Kansas City. The team was renamed "The Chiefs" as an honor to him as that was Bartles' local nickname (i.e. The Chief) due to his involvement in founding Mic-O-Say.

So if any TrailGroove members happen to watch a KC football game, remember where the name "Kansas City Chiefs" came from.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Kansas City Chiefs football fan

post-135-143508718827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M

• 1 month later...
Lemonjello

Nemo Meta 2P

Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 3 (Newer Model with Spreader bar)

Meta 2P- Got a killer deal on it since new model came out. Uses 1 pair of trekking poles. I use as 1 person and plenty of room for me and all my gear, or two person if the other half goes. Going solo, option to absorb stranded frozen hiker in a pinch

Blackbird Hammock- The "go to" for most of my solo trips. Sleep like a log! The bomb!

Seedhouse SL3- Car camping/Fishing trip/Overnight/Other half "luxury trip" tent

• 2 weeks later...

GoLite Shangri-La 3 with BD carbon trekking poles for tent poles...ultralight and ultra spacious for a single traveler or with another.

Con: This is a non-freestanding 4 season tent. Not good in loose river-rock or sand situations.

Hilleburge Jannu for serious stuff. Extremely well thought out, indestructable, great living space, bright...

Con: Doesn't pack small, overkill for most but the most extreme trips.

ive had a BA seedhouse sl1 for a long time in summer rains& winter 0 deg snows . no complaints I recently got a

BA copper spur ul1 I like the side entry on it better than the end entry on the seedhouse. both are just under3 lb

Edited by nchiker
miss spelling