Wilderness Studies

TollerMom

Super excited....I discovered that Lake Tahoe Community College has a Wilderness Studies program. They have credited classes in several topics. College credit!! The studies include Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Water Rescue, Avalanche, Ultralight Backpacking, Mountaineering, Wilderness First Aid, Leadership, Map/Compass. You name it, they have it.

I signed up for the Map/Compass/GPS class because the 2 hour long class I took at REI (which I probably have mentioned before) was pathetic using an over-photocopied map of Timbuktu (literally!) and a lesson in triangulating the stairwell from our desk in the class/storeroom in Reno. This class at LTCC is two weekends long (32 hours) of some lecture and mostly field work. I'm really excited to learn the skills that will give me confidence to try some of the lovely cross-country/off path trips I see. It will also give me confidence to venture out more on my own.

I live in Nevada but there was a bill passed that if you went to high school in CA for three years and graduated, you qualify for in-state tuition rates! (even if it were 40 some-odd years ago). This class will cost me just $58 instead of $300 in tuition.

32 hours for Map/Compass/GPS sounds really good. I took two evening classes on map/compass use but the instructor reminded us that we would need to put in quite a few hours practise on our own to start becoming proficient. Sounds like your course gives you a much better foundation. I'd be interested to hear your comments after you finish the course. (And $58 is a fantastic price.)

Wow! I need to find a deal like that here and go back to school LOL. That is great!

*Orienteering is part of the training I help teach for my agency, and I totally agree. There is no comparison between a classroom program and getting out there and doing it. Just a saddle on paper verses pointing at one, or even standing on one should illustrate how much better it is to go outside for this.

Edited by Myakka