Schrade SCHF57 Fixed Blade Knife review

Michael aka Mac

Michael aka Mac

Schrade SCHF57 6.3 inch Full Tang 2.6 inch drop point fixed blade knife

Trailgroove.thumb.jpg.e01fe81401eaa41ce6665cd64feb8d1b.jpg

The Schrade SCHF57 knife proves that size does not matter. It has a 6.3 inch total length and boasts a 2.6 inch drop point blade.  It fits firmly into it's Polymer molded sheath that bears multiple carrying options: 360 degrees rotational positioning on your belt or MOLLE rigged gear piece, or can be hung by a lanyard around your neck of which the sheath retention is less effective.. Weighing in at 4 oz., this lightweight and very durable knife is made of 65Mn high carbon steel featuring  G10 scale textured grips that aids in preventing accidental loss of control of the blade when wet.

Pros:

Lightweight, compact, thick blade, multi-carry options,  blade is no reflective, sharp right out of the box,  & has a durable sheath.

Cons:

Needs sharpening often, special care needed to prevent rusting, can be difficult for splitting larger logs with baton method.

Personal thoughts about this knife 

Living in a city with strict knife carry legislation can greatly limit one's choices for an outdoor Bushcraft knife.  With that said,  after a few months of searching the internet for a fixed blade knife that was legal to edc, I came across this tiny durable workhorse of a knife.  The only real negative thing i can say about this knife, is that the sheath retention is a tad lacking in my opinion, and it seems as if the knife could possibly fall out of it's sheath if knife is positioned with the handle facing the ground. With that said, the knife has yet to fallen out of the sheath no matter the way it is positioned/carried.

I personally have other fixed blade knives that are close to this Schrade in size, costing as much as a $140 more, but being 10 times more expensive does not equate to being 10 times better... All and all,  this is the knife that made it into my EDC bag.

Conclusion:

This knife is perfect from beginners to those well seasoned in Bushcraft, and it can also be the perfect starter knife for when, you as  parents decide to introduce knives to your children (I advise against using folding knives and pocket knives for a child's 1st knife. Every single minor injury I ever had as a young  teen was with a small pocket/folding knife,  & never once with my 6 inch Survival Knife )

0823211358.thumb.jpg.0886c1ef57c8a6bdf7082535ed81bf8c.jpg

Specs

Blade Length: 2.50"

Overall Length: 6.30"

Blade Thickness: 0.15"

Blade Material: 65Mn

Blade Style: Drop Point

Blade Grind: Hollow

Finish: Black

Handle Length: 3.625"

Handle Thickness: 0.46"

Handle Material: G-10 (resin)

Color: Black

Weight: 3.94 oz.

User: Both Right & Left Hand usage

Knife Type: Fixed Blade

Sheath: Polymer

about the author

Michael aka Mac, (his Trail name, short for MacGyver), is a Survivalist and outdoor enthusiast with over 40 years of experience in the great outdoors. His background is in engineering & physics and he brings this knowledge into his gear inventions and outdoor experiences.  Now Michael aka Mac, when he is not in the wilderness, spends his free time as a Freelance gear reviewer of outdoor gear & gadgets, an outdoor Blogger, professional outdoor survival writer, and teacher of outdoor non combat survival skills.

Edited by Michael aka Mac