Issue 56 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription or read online in standard definition here.

Review of the Victorinox SwissChamp Pocket Knife

Michael aka Mac

Michael aka Mac

The Victorinox SwissChamp Pocket knife

1003761799_swissarmyknife.thumb.jpg.ba907e4ee8d7c2f20d5a0e363dde619c.jpg

The Victorinox SwissChamp Pocket knife

By Michael aka Mac

Victorinox was the inspiration of Karl Elsener who had started a knife cutler’s workshop in Ibach,Schwyz in the year 1884. With the support of his mother, Victoria, Karls innovations have become what is now known in common day as the Swiss Army Pocket knife. Of all the Victorinox Swiss Army Pocket knives out there, the Swiss Champ is one of my personal favorites.  In early 2000's,  I traveled to Zurich, Switzerland, and stopped by at a Victorinox store where I happen to cross paths with this little beauty.

The Victorinox Swiss Champ boasts a whopping 33 Functions housed within the body of this knife. From knives to saws to a pen, this miraculous contraption has it all. The blades & saw cuts like a scalpel, as they come surgically sharp right out of the box.  The only limitations of this knife is size of the tools within,  and the person wielding it.  In the right hands,  there is nothing this knife cannot do.

Personal experience:

I have used the Victorinox Swiss Champ to start fires (cutting branches, making feather sticks (tinder), starting fires with the magnifying glass,  repair camping equipment, cut cordage, fix tents, unhook fish, pop off bottle caps off of glass beer & soda bottles, for personal grooming/ hygiene (cutting hair, trimming beard, trimming and filing nails, using toothpick, while camping for long periods of time), removing ticks and splinters, food prep, Whittling (making wood figurines and whistles), repairing sunglasses, and I have even used the pen to write a letter.

Pros

Surgically sharp blades and saws, huge selection of functions/features, excellent quality & construction, amazing customer service.

Cons

Expensive, bulky, hefty weight to it.

0820211634.thumb.jpg.394898429b4d91a22d0206bf6e30f4ce.jpg

Conclusion:

The Victorinox Swiss Champ is my go to pocket knife, and the only pocket knife that I carry with me in my EDC bag. It has been with be for decades, and come to think of it, I have yet had the need to sharpen any of the blades.  I have used this pocket knife for electrical repair, electronic & computer repair, to repair bicycles, and it has been used for Bushcraft duties as well.

The only thing this tool cannot do is auto work due to the size of this pocket knife. Just owning this knife will not allow you to do all that I have mentioned without having the know-how, but in the right hands, this tool can conduct a symphony of tasks.  

SPECS

Height:  1.3 inches

Length:  3.6 inches                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Width:    1.0 inches

Weight:  6.5 ounces

• Large blade
  • Small blade
  • Reamer, punch and sewing awl
  • Can opener
  • Screwdriver 3 mm
  • Bottle opener
  • Screwdriver 6 mm
  • Wire stripper
  • Scissors
  • Pliers
  • Wire cutter
  • Wire crimping tool
  • Fish scaler
  • Hook disgorger
  • Ruler (cm)
  • Ruler (inches)
  • Wood saw
  • Nail file
  • Nail cleaner
  • Metal saw
  • Metal file
  • Magnifying glass
  • Phillips screwdriver 1/2
  • Screwdriver 2.5 mm
  • Chisel 4 mm
  • Multipurpose hook
  • Toothpick
  • Tweezers
  • Pressurized ballpoint pen
  • Pin, stainless steel
  • Key ring
  • Mini screwdriver
  • Corkscrew

about the author

Michael aka Mac, (his Trail name, short for MacGyver), is a Survivalist and outdoor enthusiast with over 40 years of experience in the great outdoors. His background is in engineering & physics and he brings this knowledge into his gear inventions and outdoor experiences.  Now Michael aka Mac, when he is not in the wilderness, spends his free time as a Professional outdoors survival writer, a Freelance gear reviewer of outdoor gear & gadgets, an outdoor Blogger,  and teacher of outdoor non combat survival skills.

image001.png

Edited by Michael aka Mac

• 1 year later...
Michael aka Mac

0820211633.thumb.jpg.e4c371737bdee66b963bfc1bd0d54c32.jpg

Thought that this photo would give viewers an idea of just how many features this knife has and the relative size of it