Issue 56 has been released! Download your own high definition PDF copy with a TrailGroove Premium Subscription or read online in standard definition here.

Hidden Treasures In Meriden, CT that I discovered in my travels from NY to MA

Michael aka Mac

Michael aka Mac

My grandfather was a Trucker, and he use to tell me of all the out of the way places in middle of nowhere that had some of the greatest foods he has ever eaten.  So in my life, when ever I am traveling, I always stop in those not so well known cities to take a looksie.  This "Soul" food searching led me to Meriden, CT.

I was told by a trucker at a neighboring town of a great southern food  BBQ shack  right off the exit in Meriden on Pomperoy Ave. When I got there, sure enough there was a line that went several blocks down the street.  There was a sign "Southern Que BarBQ"  and a Wood shack in the driveway. The delicious aroma of BBQ'd food was in the air, and I knew right then and there that I was going to be one of those people patiently waiting in line.

The wait was well worth it. Considering how amazing the food both smelled and looked, I went all out, & I picked up a pound of pulled pork with a side of extra gravy (word of advice, don't ask for extra sauce ask for extra gravy that is the sauce),  a rack of Pork Ribs, 1/2 Chicken,  Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans, Collard Greens, corn on the cob, and of course, some cornbread for my spouse and myself.

I started with some chicken then worked my way through the other selections only for it to get better and better. Mouth watering  fall of the bone tender,  this quickly became my favorite Southern BBQ joint.

470667786_SouthernQueBarBQ.thumb.png.f5f62de32708df9248b300a5f8bd8488.png

Traveling all over the USA and parts of Mexico, & Europe, I always have found a particular eating establishment that just mastered an ethnic cuisine.  To my surprise,  right across the street from the Southern Que BarBQ was   LIDOS,  a pizza joint that everyone in town was talking about.  A few days had passed and time for more food.  We had probably the best thin crust pizza of our lives,  with fried eggplant, mushrooms, onions and peppers with extra cheese.  As delicious as the Southern food was, this Italian joint was equally as pleasing. We eventually had their Eggplant Parmesan and Chicken Parmesan platters, and to this day, when ever I pass by Meriden, I stop at both that Italian and Southern restaurants. 

Going further up that street towards the Meriden Sheraton Hotel, there is the Ocean State Job Lot,  a huge discount retail store selling practically anything you can imagine. It is here where I came across a huge discount on Trekking poles and camping equipment and its  even where i bought my winter snow pull-over-shoe cleats.

For some good ol' outdoor fun  in Meriden, since after reading this I am sure many will visit these places,  there is High Hill Orchard for some apple and fruit and veggie  picking.  (think chestnuts too if memory serves)  The people working the Orchard were as kind as any southern like hospitality folk out there.  The area in this town is woodsy and down right beautiful to hike through.

So remember, sometimes those out of the way shops and eating establishments may surprise you and become you favorite dining adventure. If this was helpful or if you want me to post more content like this click "liked" so I know to write more posts like this one.

note to readers: I am not affiliated with any of the above mentioned establishments, nor do I know anyone personally that works at these places and I do not personally benefit financially from this post nor do I receive anything for this. I am on the other hand a Foodie, and would like to share my findings with other Foodies...

about the author

Michael aka Mac, (his Trail name, short for MacGyver), is a Survivalist and outdoor enthusiast with over 40 years of experience in the great outdoors. His background is in engineering & physics and he brings this knowledge into his gear inventions and outdoor experiences.  Now Michael aka Mac, when he is not in the wilderness, spends his free time as a Freelance gear reviewer of outdoor gear & gadgets, an outdoor Blogger, professional outdoor survival writer,  and teacher of outdoor non combat survival skills.